Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Diamond Draw weight question >

Diamond Draw weight question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Diamond Draw weight question

Old 03-17-2004, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Diamond Draw weight question

Pinwheel et al, assuming a bow is Diamond Hornet is maxed out, how many pounds will be lost with each full turn of the limb bolts?

I want to shoot mine lower for awhile to do some testing, but don't have quick access to a scale...
Old 03-18-2004, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Diamond Draw weight question

No one?

How bout a generalized "don't back the limb bolts our more than X # of turns"?

Throw me a bone, would ya?
Old 03-18-2004, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

Range-

Not sure if there's a set "pounds-per-turn" because of the differing limb construction, deflection amounts, limb lengths, etc...

But, I'd throw a rough estimate out there of 2.5#'s per turn?
Old 03-18-2004, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you...

So, generally speaking, on maxed out limb bolts, no more than 4 complete turns out?
Old 03-18-2004, 01:16 PM
Fork Horn

Well, I'd say you will be generally plenty safe sticking to no more than 4 full turns out. But since this is just a ballpark estimate, your mileage may vary. Some bows only have a 10 pound rated range on the limbs, while other manufacturers (like Martin) have a 15 pound range on their limb tags. Are the Martin limb bolts longer than other manufacturer's limb bolts to accomadate this? I dunno. I thought I remember reading somewhere that Mathews recommends backing their bolts out 10 turns before putting them in press(?). I'd just hate to see someone back out those bolts jusssst a little too far.... POW! Parts flying everywhere. That's why I think you're seeing some hesitation with responses on this subject.

ok, here's my soapbox yelling voice... BUY A SCALE! even the cheapo ones are better than nothing. They will at least give you a starting point to see how much poundage you're moving. And even a nice 100# Hansen hanging scale is less than $40. The thing will last you a lifetime.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's one reason I was hoping Pinwheel would chime in. I know he's done this with my bow a bunch...

I know in the grand scheme of things I should have a scale, but I'm hoarding my jack in case I follow through with a new bow.

To be fair, I figure I should at least shoot my bow at a lower poundage to produce the same energy one of the new breed would supply to my arrow (based on anecdotal evidence and calculations) to get a feel for what I really would be gaining.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

My limb bolts have not been touched in over 2 years. I just tried to loosen them, they didn't want to budge, but the only 3/16" allen wrench I have is on one of those plastic handle that holds the whole set thingys, not exactly condusive to imparting tons of torque...

I plan to get a solid wrench, and should I expect oxidation or whatever that is when two metals are in contact with one another over time to require me needing a bunch of torque to get things moving?

It is lefty loosie righty tightie, right?
Old 03-18-2004, 04:10 PM
Typical Buck

Rangeball--

On your bow it is roughly 3lbs per full turn on both limbs. Do NOT go more than 5 turns maximum from bottom tight, ever. If it's been out in the elements and not touched in awhile, it may be rough to break the bolts free, but tight bolts are a good sign--means tolerances are good and they aren't as apt to back out over time!

Yes, "Lefty Loosie, Righty Tighty" LOL, haven't heard that in awhile! Have fun---if you ahve any other questions ask, but it takes me awhile to answer sometimes now, pretty busy. I try to hit here once a day tho.

Black Frog---

Heard you were making the journey to Louisville---I'm not, but I wanted to wish you luck anyway. Tear 'em up! Pinwheel 12
Old 03-19-2004, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Kevin. I'll get a more torqueable wrench and proceed as planned...