Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question about draw weight >

Question about draw weight

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question about draw weight

Old 11-06-2008, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Question about draw weight

Looking for a bow for my buddies son, he is 11. Is there a way I can determine what draw weight will be close for boy this age? I am looking at a PSE Spyder, but it is maxed out at 50#, and I dont think he could pull even close to that. I called PSE, and they told me that I could turn the limb bolts out 4 turns and I could drop about 10#, but I dont know if that would beb enough or not.

PS. Anyone know anything about this bow? 2002 PSE Spyder.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Question about draw weight

I shoot a PSE nova. The biggest disadvantage to PSE is their lack of adjustability! Whether we're talking adjusting the draw more than 1.5" either way, or draw weight PSEs are just not good in that department. Other than that I love the bow!

You don't mention the age of the boy...I would guesstimate that 50lbs would be a tricky start for a kid around the age of 15, with 40 being much more in the ballpark, just a guess though. I didn't hunt at that age.

There are many cheaper bows than PSEs that have far more adjustability in draw weight and even come with extra cams...such as martins, I'm sure there are others as well.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't buy a Spyder if I were you. Decent starter bow, but doesn't leave enough room for draw length adjustment when he grows.

As for weight? Tough one for anybody that age. I'd recommend taking him to a proshop and see how they fit him up. Hands on is probably better than us guessing anyway.

I know as he learns how to draw and shoot he'll be able to draw more weight. But till that time he needs to be able to draw and hold, learn how to develop some sort of shooting form. This can't be done if struggling with a bow.

There are a couple companies, Parker for one,that make bows for kids and smaller statured people that for a nominal fee (around $50) the bow can be fitted with heavier limbs down the road. I'm sure there are a couple others, but I'm sure about Parker. So maybe start him out with a 30-40, which could be fudged down below 30# for a while. Then a couple years from now boost it up to 40-50 with new limbs. 50# should do the trick for several more years---when he can buy his own bow. haha
Old 11-06-2008, 10:06 AM
Fork Horn

lol, i guess you do mention the age of the boy.... 11, my bad. Def. not a 50lb bow, even if it can be tuned down a little.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:14 AM

You might want to consider any of the truly adjustable bows Hoyt makes three Kobalt & Trykon both go down to 20#'s, the Trykon Jr as low as 10#. The average for an 11 year old just starting would probably only be between 10-20 #'s.

We helped a friend out, he bought a Hoyt Banshee.
The Mathews Ignition starts at 20#'s

Good luck! If you find a bow suitable for a 2 year old, let me know, he keeps trying to steal mine to go "deer hunting"
Old 11-06-2008, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

Take a serious look at this bow (link below). It's great for the kids. This one is designed to adjust draw weights and draw lengths so you don't just simply back out the limb bolts.
Draw Weights: 15 - 45 lbs
Draw Lengths: 17 - 28 inches.
It has cam modules that you change out to make the adjustments. This adjustment also changes the draw weight as the lengths increase.Also, you can make some weight adjustment with the limb bolts just like a regular bow.

This one will certainly grow with him until he's ready for an adult bow. I believe it's $250.

http://www.dartonarchery.com/rangerII.htm

-cp
Old 11-07-2008, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: KCMO Cityboy

Take a serious look at this bow (link below). It's great for the kids. This one is designed to adjust draw weights and draw lengths so you don't just simply back out the limb bolts.
Draw Weights: 15 - 45 lbs
Draw Lengths: 17 - 28 inches.
It has cam modules that you change out to make the adjustments. This adjustment also changes the draw weight as the lengths increase.Also, you can make some weight adjustment with the limb bolts just like a regular bow.

This one will certainly grow with him until he's ready for an adult bow. I believe it's $250.

http://www.dartonarchery.com/rangerII.htm

This is another one I was thinking about later on. Darton makes very good bows, too. They just don't advertise heavily. Good value here.

-cp