Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

dopey newbie

Old 02-14-2004, 07:58 PM

Default dopey newbie

Thanks for the advice on my "Patriot good first bow?" thread. I found a 2003 60# SC on eBay and got it for $430. It came with the BowTech quiver too. This is one excited former grouse hunter!

Talk about your ridiculous questions, but here goes: how do you store your bow? Ultimately I'll get a hard case, but can I get away with carefully hanging it on a nail through the idler wheel? I guess a rubber coated hook would be better, eh? That's what dealers seem to do...

Thanks for your patience,
Jeff
Old 02-14-2004, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: dopey newbie

Absolutely Mwether! you can hang it just fine just keep the string waxed after using it and it will be just fine . Congratulation's on the new bow I know you'll just love it once you get shooting it .Was this bow your proper draw length and was it a 2003 or 2002 model ,just the same you'll love it .

nubo
Old 02-14-2004, 08:46 PM

Nubb touched on one very important issue of draw length. Your proper draw length should have the nock of the arrow directly below or slightly in front of the pupil of your eye while at full draw. Adjustments can be made from there to promote comfort but don't shoot a draw length that is too long in that back tension is lost, which will lessen your accuracy Good luck with your new found shooting sport!!!!!
Old 02-17-2004, 04:18 AM

Thanks, guys.

Nubo, it's a 2003 and the draw length is definitely a bit long. Len is right up the road from me, so I'll head up to him for a new module some time in the early summer once things have calmed down some around my house. My wife is due to deliver twins in a month--which will mean three boys under 3 yrs. old--and we're redoing a bathroom and the nursery...basically, I've got NO business taking up a new hobby right now!

Best,
Jeff
Old 02-17-2004, 05:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Len is right up the road from me, so I'll head up to him for a new module some time in the early summer once things have calmed down some around my house.
Then you are one lucky gentleman. Len will set you up correctly.

My wife is due to deliver twins in a month--which will mean three boys under 3 yrs. old
Congratulations. But, I don't know if even the word "hectic" could describe what your house will be like...

Hanging the bow is fine...though I suggest dusting it off before shooting it. Instead of the nail though, why don't you pick up one of those screw-in bow hangers for treestand use and just screw that into the wall instead. It is rubber coated already, like you mentioned, so you don't have to worry about scratching up the idler. They cost all of about $1.00 a piece.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff congrat's on the family to be ,I can just well imagine the time you will need to get the house under control .But never fear you'll find the time to go out and do some shooting ,I'd order the new module now and have it all rigged up so when the twin's are napping you can slip outside with the monitor and shoot a couple dz arrow's .Good luck to you

nubo
Old 02-17-2004, 10:20 AM

I found a 2003 60# SC on eBay and got it for $430. It came with the BowTech quiver too
Now that is a very good deal. That is a steal for $430 IMO.

RE: dopey newbie (in reply to Mwether)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

Len is right up the road from me, so I'll head up to him for a new module some time in the early summer once things have calmed down some around my house.

Then you are one lucky gentleman. Len will set you up correctly.
I am GREEN with envy. We have noone around here half as knowledgeable as Len.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:33 AM

Mwether

congrats on the new bow
we have a couple things in common. 1. 03 sc pat, very nice bow. 2. Twins, I have twin 13 yr old boy's, Let's just say it's a challenge. Would'nt trade it for the world! Enjoy.................fishon