Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Merlin makes beautiful bows. >

Merlin makes beautiful bows.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Merlin makes beautiful bows.

Old 01-05-2002, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Merlin makes beautiful bows.

Good question, Dylan. I haven't heard anything about them not fitting, but then again I haven't heard anything about them fitting, either! Best to let Ben answer that one. Good shooting, P12
Old 01-06-2002, 10:59 AM

Its hard to believe they wouldn't be compatible. That would really be shooting oneself in the foot. It is as comon as not for archers to like one riser and a different set of limbs, and they are all "supposed" to be standardized arround the Earl Hoyt design. Hoyt tried a partial disconnect with their Axis riser, they could shoot Earl limbs, but the main limbs were different. I am not sure how well this was received...

I'm guessing Merlin risers would be compatible.
Old 01-06-2002, 01:23 PM

Thanks Ossage, I sure hope so, I think MTanto is pulling my leg because the person never reply'd after I asked a question. Every limb uses the Detente system which has a locking mechanism, in order to create a starting point for limb adjustment and alignment. Every riser is now compatible except maybe Greenhorne, but they do manufacture a Detente limb, for uses on most of the worlds risers.
I don't think I will have any problems with the FX limbs for the Apex. Thanks for the info you are giving me.
Good shooting.
Dylan

>>>>--------o-->

Edited by - 55#recurve on 01/06/2002 14:24:48
Old 01-06-2002, 07:54 PM

whats the website called? I want to take a look at these bows.
Old 01-06-2002, 08:03 PM
Typical Buck

Ky Bowhunter,

Pinwheel listed it above in his first reply.
http://www.merlin-bows.co.uk

Sag.
Old 01-06-2002, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

www.merlin-bows.co.uk
Old 01-06-2002, 09:16 PM

Still waiting on a reply from Ben, But after doing a bit of looking around I have come to my own understanding that what Mtanto said was missinformed, Hoyt still makes a goldmedalist, of which the riser is made of cast magnesium, which is much more porous then a machined aluminum riser, or Forged machined aluminum risers, I would have to come to a conclusion that the FX limbs can and are used on the goldmedalist by some people. So on that matter should and most likely will have no problems fitting and or being compatible with the Merlin Apex riser, which is far superior to the goldmedalist, in Geometry, Flex or lack there of, and quality of metal.
If the Apex is said to be compatible with all detente limbs, or international style limbs, then I would see no problems with the Apex&FX limbs being compatible and shooting very accuratly and to the highest of standards.
Thats my thoughts.
Good shooting,
Dylan

>>>>--------o-->
Old 01-06-2002, 10:01 PM

As far as the standard is concerned, it covers, from what I understand, both the way the limbs attach, and the geometry, basicaly the angle at which the limbs are set (which has a range of adjustment usualy for minor weight and tiller adjustment), and their relative position to the grip, which involves riser reflex and length.

I think what the comment regarding flex is about is that as part of the design of Hoyt bows, and certainly as part of their appreciation by archers, they have a variable degree of flex. The avalon being perhaps the flexyist, and the reflex/elan and axis being stiffer. The new Tec bow is said to be a little flexier than the axis. Presumably Hoyt designs these things to feel good together. Archers are highly partisan as regards the feel of their favorite Hoyt riser. If you buy any other riser than a Hoyt, you are dealing yourself out of this harmonious, symbiosis, blah blah. Its basicaly a shot in the dark as to whether you come up with a better combo than the factory engineered. That said, people mix and match this stuff all the time. Idealy one could try all this stuff out first, but there aren't more than a few places in NA where you could do that.
Old 01-07-2002, 12:49 PM

Ben emailed me sometime last night, He said that there will be no problems with the FX limbs and merlin riser, His riser is specifically made for the dovetail, or detent'e mount, which I had figured all along. With the deflex of the riser , everything looks good, most deflexes are the same to allow for different companies limbs I would think anyways. Good shooting.
Dylan

>>>>--------o-->