Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

40 yard shot

Old 02-04-2004, 11:15 AM

Default RE: 40 yard shot

I agree with others that said "if you are comfortable with the shot---take it". However, skill and practice must back up the shots that you choose to take. In addition, each situation will be different due to the alertness of the animal, weather and even to how confident you feel at the time of the shot.

I know people who will take a shot at 60 yards with the mentality that "you won't get them without shooting at them". That is what I find repulsive. There are some people that have no business even taking a 25 yard shot.

With my statement in the 1st paragraph, I do agree that there should be some distance that most responsible people will refuse to shoot, even though they believe that they have the skill to make the shot. I passed a shot at a P&Y buck at 50 yards this year feeding out in a picked corn field. I knew the exact distance (range finder) and I have the skill to make the shot. Weather was favorable and deer was not the least nervous. I just did not think it was a ethical shot.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

I've been shooting bows for 42 years,Use to kill groundhog at 40yards when I was 20.
I can shoot 3 inches from center of bulleyes at 60 yards,but I have never shot a deer At more than 25 yards.There is too many things that can get in between,like a twig,a sudden wind ,noise bad position ,deer mooving etc.
It is irrespect to the fauna for shooting that far.If you want to kill unethical and without respect for the animal,you should not be in the wood anymore.Go in a deer farm and take a stick of dynamite ,that is what you think hunting is .But fellow hunting is to bring in deers to 10 feets and then smile at them and wait for the criiter of your choice.
Taureau noir
Old 02-04-2004, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Only you can make that decision. The odds of a not so perfect outcome go up rapidly, the farther out you go. Even with a fast bow, 40 yds is a long way...and alot can happen. I personally try and get a 25 or less, although I have made some longer shots. I did shoot 2 deer at 40 & 42 yds. Both I had already shot, and they were shots to finish them off. I personally would probably not take a shot past 30, (unless it was needed like those 2) even though I practice and am accurate out farther than that.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:37 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-04-2004, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

I believe this is getting out of hand. You guys need to agree to disagree or something. I do not agree with
I know this will piss off some but you shouldn't feel guilty about not finding a deer. They are out of control in a lot of areas and they never go to waste. Racoons, foxes and buzzards have to eat as well.

When you see dozens of deer 20 yds away every hunt they are out of control. Something needs to be done.
and it is true that the deer will not go to waste. But, it is inhumane to maintain such an opinion. For those of you who believe it is not hunting until you get the deer within 20 yards or however close, you need to realize not everyone has the same oppurtunity to hunt in areas where you see that many deer or they have more confidence in their skill to predict what a deer may do and their shooting ability. For instance in this situation,
With my statement in the 1st paragraph, I do agree that there should be some distance that most responsible people will refuse to shoot, even though they believe that they have the skill to make the shot. I passed a shot at a P&Y buck at 50 yards this year feeding out in a picked corn field. I knew the exact distance (range finder) and I have the skill to make the shot. Weather was favorable and deer was not the least nervous. I just did not think it was a ethical shot.
I would have shot. But, I respect the man who doesn't because he feels the shot is unethical.
I can shoot 3 inches from center of bulleyes at 60 yards,but I have never shot a deer At more than 25 yards.There is too many things that can get in between,like a twig,a sudden wind ,noise bad position ,deer mooving etc.
It is irrespect to the fauna for shooting that far.If you want to kill unethical and without respect for the animal,you should not be in the wood anymore.Go in a deer farm and take a stick of dynamite ,that is what you think hunting is .But fellow hunting is to bring in deers to 10 feets and then smile at them and wait for the criiter of your choice.
Taureau noir
What is unethical about a cleanly killed deer shot at XX yards???
Old 02-04-2004, 07:29 PM

I won't shoot past 35 yrds. either but I won't call someone else unethical who does as long as they are capable, but you said you shot groundhogs at 40 yrds. and I do think that useing live animals as target practice is unethical so unless you shot them to eat then you have no right to condem someone else
Old 02-05-2004, 11:11 AM

After you go out and wound some you will understand what is wrong with a 40 yard shot with a bow and arrow. [X(] When you do learn it, if you do learn it, come back and tell us why it is not recomended.
So wound away and make no mistake about it, You will wound more than you will kill from that range.
How accurate you are on targets at that range has very little to do with it..

Shoot away and have fun!!!!
Old 02-05-2004, 11:32 AM

thanks for all the response kinda got things riled up.[&:] whats bow hunting without a little arugument.. all in sport. iam going to practice all summer and if i feel comfortable i will take the shot at 40 yards.. that is my max..there is probably people who can shoot farther then that.... but that one stament i dont agree with "" if you lose them they dont go to waste"" if i wound one i feel bad for the whole season. well until a shoot one...
|
Old 02-05-2004, 01:01 PM

I've got a couple of responses to make.First off,I shoot all year,I can shoot inside my shop when the weather is bad,3-D,twice a week,when the weather breaks. My equipment is in top condition and tuning,and I'm proficient in excess of 50yds.Do I shoot deer at that yardage?No,I don't.My comfort range is 35-38yds,but this is me.Secondly,it's disgraceful to take a shot that has that "Oh well,buzzards and foxes have to eat".The comments that fieldmouse made,besides being immature and stupid,are just wrong.I'm a Bowhunter,and like 99% of my friends on HuntingBBS,we are very proud of it!!!..Bob
Old 02-05-2004, 01:15 PM

Bowhunting is a sport of close encounters. The reason I bowhunt is to be within my preys inviorment. To be within 7 yds of a Canadian black bear and to hear his death grown. Too be so close and to have to let down because everything is just not right is all part of the expierience. Knowing you entered your preys living room and had him that close is sport enough for me. I spend more hrs a year shooting target and 3-D then I do hunting so I'm pretty comfortable with taking 40 + yard shots. My equipment is tuned to the point I'm shooting 3-4 in groups with Muzzys to 40 yds. That's not enough. I have been on trips to western states with open plains and hay fields and have let down on 35-40 yd shots and still had a great hunt. If you are in the mind set you have to harvest game to enjoy the sport of bowhunting then I recommend you take up rifle hunting or golf. When you let that arrow fly you have to be 100% you will kill that animal and with that you'll still get bad hits and long tracking jobs. And worst of all not finding your game. If taking a life means so little to you that you would chance not having a quick and humane kill you might have a charactor defect. These are living and breathing animals we hunt and have as much right to life as we do. We being the sheperds of the land should take that responsibiltiy and respect the game we hunt. Flinging arrows to see if you can hit it is not doing your part or showing any respect for life. Before you shoot remember your taking a life. That may get you in closer. Jerry

Quick Reply: 40 yard shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.