HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 40 yard shot
Thread: 40 yard shot
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2004, 06:38 PM
hammer06
Fork Horn

Default RE: 40 yard shot

I believe this is getting out of hand. You guys need to agree to disagree or something. I do not agree with
I know this will piss off some but you shouldn't feel guilty about not finding a deer. They are out of control in a lot of areas and they never go to waste. Racoons, foxes and buzzards have to eat as well.

When you see dozens of deer 20 yds away every hunt they are out of control. Something needs to be done.
and it is true that the deer will not go to waste. But, it is inhumane to maintain such an opinion. For those of you who believe it is not hunting until you get the deer within 20 yards or however close, you need to realize not everyone has the same oppurtunity to hunt in areas where you see that many deer or they have more confidence in their skill to predict what a deer may do and their shooting ability. For instance in this situation,
With my statement in the 1st paragraph, I do agree that there should be some distance that most responsible people will refuse to shoot, even though they believe that they have the skill to make the shot. I passed a shot at a P&Y buck at 50 yards this year feeding out in a picked corn field. I knew the exact distance (range finder) and I have the skill to make the shot. Weather was favorable and deer was not the least nervous. I just did not think it was a ethical shot.
I would have shot. But, I respect the man who doesn't because he feels the shot is unethical.
I can shoot 3 inches from center of bulleyes at 60 yards,but I have never shot a deer At more than 25 yards.There is too many things that can get in between,like a twig,a sudden wind ,noise bad position ,deer mooving etc.
It is irrespect to the fauna for shooting that far.If you want to kill unethical and without respect for the animal,you should not be in the wood anymore.Go in a deer farm and take a stick of dynamite ,that is what you think hunting is .But fellow hunting is to bring in deers to 10 feets and then smile at them and wait for the criiter of your choice.
Taureau noir
What is unethical about a cleanly killed deer shot at XX yards???