Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

brace height

Old 01-08-2004, 11:36 AM

Default brace height

i have a 27 in draw and poundage of 58,with a arrow wgt of 363 with a brace height of 7.5--was wondering if a smaller brace ht would really affect my consistency--i am in the market for a new bow but looking to shoot between 65 to 70 lbs.i would like to find a bow between 32 to 36 in in length.newberry advertises thier sb1 at 325 fps at a the ibo rating with a 6.75 brace height but you go to fastestbows.com and the specs are different (307fps--30.5 in draw at ibo standard)(28.5 at 287)is there a bow out there that gives you the true specs! that is quiet and forgiving with a short brace ht to produce around 275--280 at a 27 in draw with 70% letoff.you guys got the wisdom and the knowledge to lead me in the right direction--thanks!
Old 01-08-2004, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: brace height

The shorter the brace height the longer the arrow stays on the string thus allowing more time for mistakes. Whatever brand bow you go with , shoot it first to see if you like it. I happen to shoot a Mathews LX at 66lbs and am generating 275fps with 29.5 in. draw and an arrow weight of 423 grains. You should meet your specs with this bow at 27 in and a lighter arrow, set at 70 lbs. Both the Legacy and the LX have the string dampening system which makes the bow shoot like a longer brace height bow. As far as axle to axle, the parallel limb designs of all the newer bows, make the bows shoot smoother, like the longer axle to axle bows that were produced a few years ago. Just remember that speed isn't everyting. You also might be able to get your speeds up by lightening up what is on your string. All I have is a peep and a string loop with tied on nock points. The string loop is served to the string to align my peep. Everyting you add will slow you down. Good luck in your search.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: brace height

You live in Ohio , where it gets cold durring hunting season , so another consideration for you is [ what brace height bow will clear my winter jacket ] If you are shooting with a bent ellbow 6 3/4 MIGHT BE you minimun brace height bow , going lower may or may not cause problems with the string slaping your jacket . It depends on you jacket and your form . If 27 inches is long for you then you are more likely to have contact isues . As far is how consistant you can be with a bow with that much brace , another question you need to ask yourself is how many arrows a day do you intend to shoot during season and off season . If you know your equipment , and are used to its feel you will become more consistant with it . What Im trying to say is you need to practice more with a shorter brace height bow than with a taller brace height bow ,and with either one if you plan to shoot at animals I think you should practice every day . As far as the manufactures claims on speed , they are a joke , especialy for guys who dont have 30" draw lengths . Speed is overrated anyway , consistancy and accuracy is where its at .