Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Brace height

Old 12-12-2004, 08:04 AM
Spike

Default Brace height

I just ordered a new Hoyt Gamemaster and I'm excited about using it.I'm a compounder but thought that I would give this a try.How do you get the right brace height???? I bought a older recurve off of E-bay to see if I could shoot it .man it was fun.Another ?? is the arrows,They set me up with 2213's shooting at 45#,how do you figure out what arrows to use??I also ordered the Hoyt at 45#,If I were to go with carbon which ones or if I stay with alum,what are my options,I'm sure that I'll have more ?? in a week or so once it comes in .Thank you for your time.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:49 PM

Default RE: Brace height

Brace height is fairly easy most of the time. You twist or untwist the string to make it shorter or longer. Measure from the string to the deepest part of the grip on most bows. I am sure hoyt will have instructions on where to measure that one. As far as the spine charts for what arrows to use the best charts I have found are here.
http://www.arrowsbykelly.com/Spine_Charts.html
As far as carbons go you might try gold tip 35/55 with heavy tips. Welcome to the trad side of things it is a blast.
Troy
Old 12-12-2004, 01:51 PM

Oh on a side note I read somewhere that the Game master has eliptical shaped alignment pins to make sure the bow straight tip to tip. So if the string doesn't track true down the center that might be the first place to look. Just something I read no first hand experience.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:01 PM
Spike

thanks for the reply,I know that I might be putting the cart in front of the horse.I'll keep that in mind about the tracking.I'm not sure what your meaning though,could you explain a little bit further thanks again
Old 12-12-2004, 06:38 PM

The string should run straight the length of the bow right down the center line. If the alignment pins are eliptical shaped ( not sure they are ) That would be an easy way to align the tips of each end to the center. I read that there is a set screw on the side of the riser to hold each pin in the factory setting but they sometimes vibrate loose which would let the pin shift. Just something to think about and check when you get it in your hand. I researched them a little cause I was going to buy one also but have not tried one out yet.