Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Hybrid Cam??? Dual Cam??? >

Hybrid Cam??? Dual Cam???

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Hybrid Cam??? Dual Cam???

Old 01-03-2004, 04:39 PM

Default Hybrid Cam??? Dual Cam???

I am currently shopping for a new bow for the first time in twenty years and there have never all these choices. I have ruled out single cams just because I believe a bow should look the same on both ends(it probably doesn't make a difference but thats just how I think). I have read that dual cams require more tinkering to keep it time but when I look at the hybrid cams and the cam and a half they look like two cams to me so would someone explain the difference please?

thanks
HiLeft
Old 01-03-2004, 08:19 PM

Default RE: Hybrid Cam??? Dual Cam???

I've owned a Darton Maverick and a Yukon and still have my wife's Yukon SD. No matter what, you will still have to twist something on any bow to get it within the recomended specs to perform correctly. The CPS system is smooth but a little stiff and buss cable wear might be a problem on some bows because it's the only one cable to handle the load. The buss cable track is usually a pretty severe design to get usually more limb tip movement than a single cam, thus potentially more wear over the tight bends of the cam. Duals have two buss cables to share the load and usually produce more limb tip movement and store more energy than most single cam and hybrids. The single cam bow has one buss and one very long string that can tend to stretch more than the other cam designs. As with any current cam design, the new modern string materials available and new techniques to build them can go a long way in not having to adjust for string or cable stretch after initial break-in. Single cam bows are generally quieter followed by hybrids or dual cams , depending on the design. My current dual cam bows are better shooters and quieter than my hybrids that I owned though not as quiet as my single cam bows.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:32 PM

Thanks for the explanation walks with a gimp. If I understand this right the bus cable is what hooks the cams to the limbs. In a dual cam bow there are two of these cables and if they strech a different amount the cams will be out of time. The cam and ahalf only have one buss cable if it streches both cams will move the same amount . this will put them in the wrong position but they will be in time with respect to each other. Am I close?
Old 01-03-2004, 10:37 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention the power cable on the hybrid also so there is still three things that can stretch on the hybrid, like on a dual cam.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:17 AM

I can't give you the intricate details of a hybrid cam, but I will say they are not all the same. The Merlin Hunter's Quest with Omega cam (hybrid) is the quietest bow I've ever heard, and I've heard most of them. Looking at the Omega cam, there a some hash marks that the cable should fall between. It's a fairly wide range and slight string creep will not put the cams out of time as easily. I have to agree with several others on this forum, that hybrids are probably going to be the "cam of choice" for most bow makers, for the near future. Darton has made this fine system for several years and are just now getting the recognition they derserve for developing this technology. Hoyt brought it to the forefront of recognition and companies like Merlin, Martin and Champion have already brought their own design on board. Refinements have made some of the bows shooting these, very quiet. I'm sure that many other tweaks to the design will give us a wide range of hybrid cams, to suit most preferences.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:32 AM
Typical Buck

Twin cams are mirror images of one another, and all need to be timed and creep-tuned for best performance. The Hybrids have as correctly stated above by WWAG, a power cable and control cable, along with the string, rather than two separate buss cables with outrigger yokes.

Differences-

Twins have straight nock travel, but not level because the true centerline of the bow is the gripm and the rest rides above that--with "mirror" cams, the nock point ends up starting out high, not level. Hybrids offer both straight and level due to the round cable track and the control cable which "monitors" precise synch. This constitutes better efficiency and wider range of acceptable arrow spine, resulting in more forgiveness and accuracy.

Hybrids generally tend to be quieter than twins.

Some Hybrids come with directions and timing marks that are easy to read, and everything is laid out for the dealer or customer to set the bow for best performance and S&LNT---set them, forget them, go shoot, enjoy.

Twins shoot very well, and have for many years. But there is a new design in town now that works easier and better IMHO, one that offers the best of both twin and solocam worlds, and S&LNT to boot. My scores have increased considerably since I've switched to the Merlin Omega hybrid from their twin cams, with higher 12,11,and X counts. Our Factory Pro staff for 2004 are seeing similar results after having also mostly shot twins for a number of years.

Up to each person to decide what will prove to be the best system for their intended application, but there are some points to chew on. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12
Old 01-04-2004, 09:35 PM

Go to your local spoting goods store and test out the bows, when you find one that talks to you and youll know what i mean, thats your bow