Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Shooting fixed blade heads at 300 fps or over? >

Shooting fixed blade heads at 300 fps or over?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Shooting fixed blade heads at 300 fps or over?

Old 11-07-2003, 05:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default Shooting fixed blade heads at 300 fps or over?

Anyone doing this? I am at about 290-295 right now with Carbon Express Terminator arrows. Thinking about changing to the Carbon Express CX which are much lighter and would push velocity to about 320fps. My only concern is that they would lose stability at that speed. The broadheads are Muzzy 4 blade 90 grain heads dont seem to have much more surface area than the mechanicals.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Shooting fixed blade heads at 300 fps or over?

I' m shooting 306 fps and Slick Trick fixed blades and they work great. My arrow is a 367 grain Gold Tip XT 5575.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:24 AM

I was shooting a 3-d select for target and 3-d. I changed to 4" feathersand they they still wouldn' t group well with my muzzy' s. I think it was the foc. In my case my arrows where 26.5 because of my draw length. So my speed was around 275 -280. I went back to aluminum for more wt. and they group much better. My foc increased which made me think my feathers are now controlling my arrow flight. JERRY
Old 11-07-2003, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depending on your form, bow tune and arrow quality, the muzzies might do it for you. If not, you can try one of the newer low profile 1" heads on the market such as the Wasp Boss Bullet, Rocky Mountain Tradition or the Slick Trick, which are all reported to fly like field points. I' ve got my brother in law using the Wasps at high speeds, he' s getting field tip accuracy and has taken a buck and a doe so far...
Old 11-07-2003, 07:30 AM

I am shooting Muzzy 100gr 3blade, at around 305 FPS out of my LX. They shoot awesome and I am only using 3" vanes. It will probably depend more on bow tune and form.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

Iam shooting a hoyt ultratec with spiral cams, the speed is 295 fps, with an easton litespeed with wasp 75 grn. boss bullitts.
They fly awesome, and seem very durable.
Old 11-08-2003, 10:22 AM

Yes it can be done, 3 very good heads to shoot over 300 fps are the rocky mountain tradition, ironhead 100, and the Ti-100 or 85. Honestly it isn' t really the head but the tune of the bow & arrow combo. Make sure you have good alignment where the arrow & broadhead meet, make sure to use helical fletching, and shoot perfect paper holes. This has always yeilded good broadhead groups even with speeds faster than 300 fps.

Old 11-08-2003, 05:00 PM

Don' t ask me why, but my friend was a tried and true Muzzy believer until this year........He got some Magnus Stinger 2 blades with optional bleeder blades, and he shot a field point arrow into the target, shot a Stinger arrow into the same spot, and the blade was somehow turned vertically and slid right along the shaft of the field point arrow. Shafts touching. He said he' s always had to adjust his sight for other heads, but he didn' t with these, and they hit like a TRUCK he says!!!! They' ve already downed his doe, and a couple friends' 10 and 16 point bucks. One guys said with a less than perfect hit it left a bloodtrail a monkey could follow. And they STAY sharp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He' s had it punched through a broadhead target LOTS of times, and he shaved his arm with that broadhead for me. LOL I kinda became a believer, and I' m gonna get me some when I get some more money. They are a cut on contact head, and the whole main blade can be replaced easily if needed. Also small bleeder blades are optional. I' m gonna give ' em a try and maybe post a review.