Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Shooting left

Old 11-05-2003, 02:42 AM

Default Shooting left

Just recently picked my bow up after serveral years and decided to try a release. I' m using a loop and double caliber release. Grouping is not bad, but I' m consistently hitting left of my aim. I' ve adjusted the pins out until there is hardly any more adjustment, but still hitting left. When I was shooting fingers my pins were almost inline with the bow string. Now they are 1/4" left. Is this a common problem with a release? My thinking is that it must be something in my mechanics.

Any suggestions?

PS: My sight is a standard pin sight (7 yrs old)

Thanks
Tom
Old 11-05-2003, 06:07 AM

Default RE: Shooting left

Sounds to me like your arrows are not right for the poundage you are shooting.
Check it out with a bow scale.

Joe

Old 11-05-2003, 06:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome to the forum!

I don' t know if this is what' s up with your situation, but if you did not adjust the rest' s centershot then that is the likely problem. When a right handed shooter sets up for shooting fingers, he aligns the tip of the arrow slightly left of centershot. That compensates for the string rolling off the fingertips and being pushed slightly off to the left of center.

With a release, the whole shot is going right down the middle so the centershot needs to be right on.

If you didn' t adjust the rest that was set up for fingers when you started using the release, the arrow is automatically aimed off to the left.
Old 11-06-2003, 02:26 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. As for the correct arrows joetruse, I' m shooting 32 1/2 in draw at 68lbs. My arrows are PSE 300 carbons. I' m new to carbon arrows, but this is what my local dealer suggested after exaiminig my bow and set-up.

Arthur P, I thought about the center shot not being correct on my rest, and not trusting my ability to set it up I had the dealer check it for me, and he says it is right on. My pins are about a 1/4 in out to the left of center with this hook up.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:23 AM

If you have moved the pins as far as they will go, then move the sight housing to the left. I would adjust the sights back to the middle and move the housing. If your shooting left you may be torquing the bow.