Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooting left

Old 06-07-2004, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default shooting left

Hi I am having a problem with shooting left and I have moved my pin left and I just keep hitting to the left and I was wondering if anybody can help me with this problem.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:40 PM

Default RE: shooting left

It may be possible that you are torquing the bow. Also rest may need adjusted. Do you shoot with a tight grip on the bow or a relaxed grip on the bow?
Old 06-07-2004, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot with my hand open so I dont think I would be torquing the bow.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:42 PM
Typical Buck

You may be twitching your wrist upon release. Let the bow fall forward when you release....hope you have a wrist sling if your going to do this.

I always shoot with an open hand. Well, I got into the habit of closing my hand when I released the arrow. When I did this, I would twitch my hand/wrist to the left (Probably did it to stop the string from hitting my forearm...) causing the arrow to go left no matter how far I moved my pins. Not sure how I figured it out, but I did. Now, when I shoot, I hold my hand open at all times and let the bow fall foward. No problems anymore. May want to give it a try.

J
Old 06-07-2004, 02:01 PM

Make sure you have a good follow through I have seen this problem caused by trying to watch were the arrow is going by moving the bow away from the body as you shoot instead of watching it travel to the target through the sight. Kind of like pulling your head up on a golf ball before you hit it.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:47 PM

I went thru the same problem a few months ago. It was my grip, and I shoot with an open hand. I was forcing my hand open instead of just relaxing my hand. When I relax my hand, my fingers curl around the front of my bow, but they are still relaxed. A combo of that and really focusing on a good follow-thru fixed me right up. I owe it all to members of this board too.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:09 AM
Typical Buck

When I shoot left it is generally because I don't keep my head down on the string. This should not be the problem if you are using a peep and looking through it.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

i had the same problem when i was starting out then i asked someone what i was doing worng and the said my form wasnt right. so make sure your bow isnt tilting slightly to the left because that was what i was doing wrong. its all about the technique