Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Whisker biscuit

Old 09-10-2016, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

Love my whisker biscuit. It fits my hunting style and does the job. I stopped chasing the latest and greatest archery equipment years ago. Keep it minimal and simple is my motto now. As I get older, my shots are limited to 30 yards and I've found WB's, inexpensive carbon arrows, and simple broad heads work just fine. Spending more money on the best technology is wasted on me.

I applaud those who seek the best and think a WB is like driving a Geo. I just think one size does not fit all and the WB fits the needs of many.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sachiko
It seems as though there are different opinions regarding the WB.

For us, it turns out to be very appropriate. We stalk-still hunt, whatever it's called. So as one gets close to where you might have a shot, the WB enables one to nock an arrow and be ready, even though you may have to get down on your hands and knees to get close.

It may be that some people who use the WB only take a few shots a year. But there are a lot of people who use other rests who also take only a few shots a year. We try, unless the weather is pretty nasty, to take six shots every day. We do that in our backyard. It may not be legal in town here, for all I know. But we have trees and shrubbery to screen us, so nobody knows. We have almost 30 yards to the target. That's more than adequate, since I never take a shot more than about 10-15 yards max.

Does the WB wear out? Yes, but it's replaceable. Does it wear the fletchings? Yes, but arrows are replaceable. So for us, the way we hunt, the WB is a great thing. But, obviously, it's not for everyone.

I was reassured by the comparison tests which showed that the WB doesn't really affect arrow speed or accuracy by an appreciable amount.
Sachi, on your bow especially it is a detriment to you. At your low poundage draw weight and slow speeds, you need absolutely EVERY FPS you can get. And you can take those figures and near triple the speed loss you are getting BECAUSE of the lower poundage. Simple formula to figure that is : Same resistance + lower force = more loss due to resistance. Those guys testing were using state of the art 70# draw bows with more than 28 inch draw length for the force cycle. You on the other hand, are shooting 35 pounds, around 24 inch draw if I remember correctly, and a moderate cam.

Now, this puppy right here would serve your hunting style with perfection. Best of both worlds, containment for the arrow for your still hunting style without the full shot contact of the arrow. Giving you all the FPS your bow can produce at it's given draw length.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Archery hunters or target shooters always can step up to something better and more expensive. There is no such thing as the perfect equipment since new and technologically improved stuff is always coming out. To many the equipment they have is more than adequate for their needs and they wouldn't feel compelled to change anything. Everything kind of goes on personal preference and the satisfaction one has.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats just it CI, that rest I put up there is $10 CHEAPER for a much better rest. Yet another reason I just don't get the love for the WB. $60 bucks for a WB vs $50 for the Ultra rest Hunter seems like an absolute no brainer to me. http://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetLoc...3D1%26Ntpr%3D1 I just can't wrap my tiny little brain around why anyone would use lessor equipment and pay MORE for it. I'm an extremely strong advocate for people to get out there and practice as much as they possibly can and use the best tools they can afford for the job. Our game animals deserve our best. I might be big and ornery but when it comes to animals I am a big ole softy at heart. I don't typically get a "thrill" from the actual kill. I know it's something I HAVE to do as a conservationist and a hunter. So I want to make absolutely certain that I can deliver the quickest and cleanest kill I can. I've been driven my entire life towards the goal of perfection even though I know it's unattainable. I try to drive every student I've ever had in archery and firearms to that same unattainable goal.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:21 PM
Dominant Buck

The point is SH that not everyone is a perfectionist. People who ended up with a WB such as Sachiko like it and aren't looking to upgrade. They already have it and like it regardless of what other people feel. Case in point. I have owned about 6 compound bows each one a little better and more technologically advanced than the last. There was a time when I shot a lot more and was a member of leagues during the off season. Now in my later years I am shooting a Mathews that is certainly a better bow than the Martin I had before that. There are newer bows out there now that would be a couple of steps up from the one I have. I am satisfied with what I now own and feel quite confident that I should be able to easily kill a deer if given the opportunity. I have a gun safe full of guns and feel confident that any of the deer caliber guns would certainly be capable of accurately killing a deer if I choose to use them. None of my guns are bad shooters. If I wanted to drop some serious coin I could buy a custom gun but there is nothing wrong with the factory guns that I own even though a custom might be slightly more accurate. I drive an F150 as does a middle brother and another brother drives a GMC while the youngest one drives a Ram. We all like what we have even though the Fords might be better....the rests are the same deal. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder..regardless of what others think.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:50 PM
Little Doe Peep

Wink

We appreciate the advice Super Hunt, but our thought is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I've been hunting since I was 16 and have never missed a shot or lost a deer. We're not much into equipment. My husband retired a beautiful antique wooden compound bow in favor of a Browning that he got at half-price from Gander Mountain. Some one bought it, didn't like it, and returned it. We bought my bow at a yard sale for $20. It's supposed to be 30 lbs., which is just about right for little sachiko.

It's really no big deal, but sachi is like half a name. East Asians don't name kids by how it sounds. The names actually mean something depending on the kanji used. Sachi can mean different things, but the kanji my mother used means "of happiness." The ko means "child," so I am "child of happiness." It reflects my mother's feelings. But, like I said, no big deal. Just thought I would let you know.

Last edited by sachiko; 09-11-2016 at 02:47 AM.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sachiko
It's really no big deal, but sachi is like half a name. East Asians don't name kids by how it sounds. The names actually mean something depending on the kanji used. Sachi can mean different things, but the kanji my mother used means "of happiness." The ko means "child," so I am "child of happiness." It reflects my mother's feelings. But, like I said, no big deal. Just thought I would let you know.
Don't feel too bad, people shorten names on forums all of the time.

For example, my name is Nomercy448. It means "doesn't like people." People shorten that online all of the time to "Mercy," which I understand means something completely different.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

<<< Lazy typist most times. Or sometimes I'm on the tablet which is a severe pain to type on for us older farts. And I always call him "mercy" because as much as he likes to deny it, he shows mercy to a LOT of folks needing help with one thing or another.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Thats just it CI, that rest I put up there is $10 CHEAPER for a much better rest. Yet another reason I just don't get the love for the WB. $60 bucks for a WB vs $50 for the Ultra rest Hunter seems like an absolute no brainer to me. http://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetLoc...3D1%26Ntpr%3D1 I just can't wrap my tiny little brain around why anyone would use lessor equipment and pay MORE for it. I'm an extremely strong advocate for people to get out there and practice as much as they possibly can and use the best tools they can afford for the job. Our game animals deserve our best. I might be big and ornery but when it comes to animals I am a big ole softy at heart. I don't typically get a "thrill" from the actual kill. I know it's something I HAVE to do as a conservationist and a hunter. So I want to make absolutely certain that I can deliver the quickest and cleanest kill I can. I've been driven my entire life towards the goal of perfection even though I know it's unattainable. I try to drive every student I've ever had in archery and firearms to that same unattainable goal.
Well yeah but I think you found the highest price for a WB and the lowest for the qad

The basic WB is 39.99 shipped from Midway and the basic qad is $55 , $15 cheaper not $10 more......nobody should ever pay $60 for a WB IMO

I personally think the qad is well worth the extra $15 but its probably not to some people.

Its pretty easy to find a WB for less than $30

The qad is better but it is not cheaper.

As I pointed out earlier the criticism of the WB didn't lead to the OP getting a higher end rest.......it led to the op replacing the WB with a different $30 rest that carries all the down sides of the WB plus the added bonus of being prone too sudden one shot catastrophic failure.

Last edited by rockport; 09-11-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:11 AM
Dominant Buck

This whole issue really is personal preference. It covers everything about archery...bows, rests, sights, stabilizers, arrows, broad heads and quivers plus all the other equipment like releases, peeps, string loops .... on and on. There are lots of people who buy really low end equipment because it matches their needs and budgets. To compare one brand or design as better is purely subjective. My first compound bow in the "early years" was a bear whitetail with cheap mismatched aluminum arrows and I killed a few deer with it. My last bow is several steps higher on the technological scale and the deer aren't any deader. Admittedly I shoot better with higher grade equipment but where does it end? At some point most people are satisfied with what they have and aren't re-equipping every year or two chasing the latest and greatest which in part is just sales tactics. A 20 yd shot is still a 20 yd shot regardless of the bow I am using.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.