Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Whisker biscuit

Old 09-05-2016, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

....Edited by Champlain Islander...

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 09-06-2016 at 01:10 PM. Reason: previously warned post 27 about baiting and flaming now 2 week ban
Old 09-06-2016, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Ironic that you say that because I often see that rest on complete ready to shoot low to mid level bow packages.
Not ironic - Fully intentional. The fact the WB is the cheap rest which usually comes with packaged ready-to-shoot bows doesn't escape me, and is the very reason I noted I would take the extra effort to remove the WB before leaving the store and leave it behind, should I ever purchase such a package.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:45 AM
Spike

Thumbs up Thanks guys

Ironic that you say that because I often see that rest on complete ready to shoot low to mid level bow packages. I have to admit I never shot a bow with one but always thought that slight pressure had to have some impact on both speed and arrow flight. Archery is such a finesse sport and I always found small issues add up to sub standard performance when working to achieve a higher level of accuracy.
Thanks to all of ya for the input.Champlain Islander,your above post is exactly what i was thinking.I've been into archery for well over 30 yrs but didn't have any experience with the whisker biscuit and was wondering if my way of thinking was same as some experienced with this rest.After thinking about it,i personally wouldn't recommend it for a beginner either.Yes it works and does come on some ready to shoot bows such as my son's Bear,but I'm going to be replacing his because i don't think it teaches proper form.I tossed mine to the side and replaced it with a NAP Quicktune 360 and LOVE it so much better.Mere 30 bucks very well spent.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

A WB is far better than a NAP Quiktune 360....and I like NAP.

WB does not teach bad form either.

Last edited by rockport; 09-06-2016 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

No, it accentuates bad form. In other words, ANY mistake in follow-through will be transferred into the arrow. Whereas with pretty much all other rests that aren't continuous contact, you can get away with SOME little hiccups but not all of them

As far as the NAP quicktune goes, you are still trying to use a full arrow release stroke contacting rest. Capture releases just don't get my vote. ANY of them. It's a design basically made for a problem that is so easily curable with simply paying attention to what you are doing when moving your bow around. Simply keep your finger on the arrow till you draw. Problem solved. No need for all this gimiky stuff that manufacturers are trying to tell hunters and new archers they absolutely can't do the job without! I come from traditional off the shelf archery so keeping my finger over the arrow when moving the bow is 100% second nature to me. It should be second nature to anyone.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
No, it accentuates bad form. In other words, ANY mistake in follow-through will be transferred into the arrow. Whereas with pretty much all other rests that aren't continuous contact, you can get away with SOME little hiccups but not all of them

As far as the NAP quicktune goes, you are still trying to use a full arrow release stroke contacting rest. Capture releases just don't get my vote. ANY of them. It's a design basically made for a problem that is so easily curable with simply paying attention to what you are doing when moving your bow around. Simply keep your finger on the arrow till you draw. Problem solved. No need for all this gimiky stuff that manufacturers are trying to tell hunters and new archers they absolutely can't do the job without! I come from traditional off the shelf archery so keeping my finger over the arrow when moving the bow is 100% second nature to me. It should be second nature to anyone.
How tall are you?

Some would argue that its things that mask bad form that enable bad form.....not the other way around.

Last edited by rockport; 09-06-2016 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm 6'5". And yes that argument has merit with most things, but with archery, the human body is FAR from a perfect design and very few are the same. In other words...folks goof! To have a design that requires perfect follow-through is stupid. Very few can accomplish it even with tons of practice. At my age, achieving excellent follow-though is difficult at best, dang near impossible for usual. Hence part of the reason I switched to drop away rests. Once you get one dialed in, it can improve your performance level quite a bit if you are having follow-through difficulties.

I was getting to where I could barely score a 465 on a 50 target shoot. Had a couple friends video me shooting. Took a long close look at the whole thing and discovered some pretty big differences from earlier films. My bow arm was dropping a bit early on release, my wrist positioning was nowhere near as flexed as it used to be, my stance had closed in some, my string arm wasn't dropping straight back as it used to, just all kinds of tiny things that most wouldn't notice but when added together was making me shoot a good percentage worse than in times before. My first drop away solved about 85% of the problems. The other 15% I just had to get my dang mind right and make my body work in unison with the bow.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
I'm 6'5". And yes that argument has merit with most things, but with archery, the human body is FAR from a perfect design and very few are the same. In other words...folks goof! To have a design that requires perfect follow-through is stupid. Very few can accomplish it even with tons of practice. At my age, achieving excellent follow-though is difficult at best, dang near impossible for usual. Hence part of the reason I switched to drop away rests. Once you get one dialed in, it can improve your performance level quite a bit if you are having follow-through difficulties.

I was getting to where I could barely score a 465 on a 50 target shoot. Had a couple friends video me shooting. Took a long close look at the whole thing and discovered some pretty big differences from earlier films. My bow arm was dropping a bit early on release, my wrist positioning was nowhere near as flexed as it used to be, my stance had closed in some, my string arm wasn't dropping straight back as it used to, just all kinds of tiny things that most wouldn't notice but when added together was making me shoot a good percentage worse than in times before. My first drop away solved about 85% of the problems. The other 15% I just had to get my dang mind right and make my body work in unison with the bow.
1. Just to be clear I agree 100% a good drop away is much better

2. Now, At 6' 5" you reckon its a little more natural for you to have your foot long finger around that arrow than say a guy that is 5'9" with a 3.5" finger with a compound bow?

3. I will probably never hold another arrow on with my finger ever again. Its not bad form to stop doing something that is no longer functional with a compound bow.

4. I would venture to guess most bow hunters really have no business shooting deer with any rest out past distances the WB can handle.

5. He is what I do to correct my own poor form that I develop. I take my bow and I walk right up to the target and I shoot from about 2 feet away, focus 100% on my form without worrying about where my arrow goes and I retrain myself to shoot the damn thing right.

6. I'm not arguing against going to a dropaway because it mask bad form. Just pointing out a WB does not teach bad form....if anything its the other way around.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:37 PM
Dominant Buck

It would be pretty cool to have one of the bow "experts" to conduct a little test similar to how the BP guys are always messing around with loads and bullets. Shoot 2 bows one with a WB and another with just a prong rest through a chrony and check pattern.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

It would be pretty cool to have one of the bow "experts" to conduct a little test similar to how the BP guys are always messing around with loads and bullets. Shoot 2 bows one with a WB and another with just a prong rest through a chrony and check pattern.
http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...hisker-biscuit

Ive shot all 4 my self. Ive found the drop away is better slightly in performance with less maintenance, the WB is a very decent rest, and the NAP 360 is junk and the only of the 3 I'd choose a prong rest over for hunting.

Ive shot all 4 extensively

Last edited by rockport; 09-06-2016 at 06:00 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.