Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Whisker biscuit

Old 09-02-2016, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

Whisker biscuit is simple and it works. Nothing to fail at the critical moment. I shoot blazer vanes through a whisker biscuit, no damage to the vanes. For hunting, this is the perfect rest in my opinion.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Rick C.
Whisker biscuit is simple and it works. Nothing to fail at the critical moment. I shoot blazer vanes through a whisker biscuit, no damage to the vanes. For hunting, this is the perfect rest in my opinion.
I think they work fine as well but that ripcord is pretty awesome. I haven't used them all but its on a different level than anything else I have used......and I didn't even want to like it
Old 09-02-2016, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the rip cord on one of my old Bowtechs. Love it myself. But my QAD Ultra custom on my Experience is on a different level. But as I was telling the op previously, it was a bit of a bear even for me to get perfect. But it has a few adjustment's on it and you have to get them all correct and in a proper order of timing for that 0 fault performance. But once you have that bugger locked in, WOW.

QAD's "Hunter" model is vastly cheaper and would be a fairly good beginner drop away as it is much easier to tune. I think the rip cord is around the same price, maybe 10 bucks more according to where you get it, and is about the same tuning that the QAD "hunter" rest involves. Pretty straight forward and easily done.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have spent (wasted) a lot of money looking for the right rest for me. The Code Red Ripcord is d@mned close, but the QAD Ultra is THE rest for me.

I wouldn't leave the store with a Whisker Biscuit if it came free with the bow.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
I have spent (wasted) a lot of money looking for the right rest for me. The Code Red Ripcord is d@mned close, but the QAD Ultra is THE rest for me.

I wouldn't leave the store with a Whisker Biscuit if it came free with the bow.
Ironic that you say that because I often see that rest on complete ready to shoot low to mid level bow packages. I have to admit I never shot a bow with one but always thought that slight pressure had to have some impact on both speed and arrow flight. Archery is such a finesse sport and I always found small issues add up to sub standard performance when working to achieve a higher level of accuracy.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Ironic that you say that because I often see that rest on complete ready to shoot low to mid level bow packages. I have to admit I never shot a bow with one but always thought that slight pressure had to have some impact on both speed and arrow flight. Archery is such a finesse sport and I always found small issues add up to sub standard performance when working to achieve a higher level of accuracy.
It's been tested by many. You lose an average of 3-5fps depending on your arrow setup I.E.: Diameter, Fletch size, arrow length. And you are correct in your assessment of contact impacting accuracy. Because of the constant contact with the arrow throughout the complete release cycle, ANY missteps within a persons form will be transmitted to the arrow.

In essence, the WB is an "okay" rest for some to use. If you don't shoot a lot and are fine with mediocre results then it's the rest for you. If you actually care about pinpoint precision and you practice like a person that actually cares about putting that arrow where it has to go for the cleanest and quickest kill then there are tons of better rests out there for you.

Trophy Ridge put a lot of money into advertisement and endorsements (paid people to use it and advertise for them) and it won a lot of hunters over.

Sadly, the average archery hunter in the US doesn't even look at their bow until a few weeks before archery season starts. They pound out a few arrows to make sure their bows still work and they think that's okay. IT ISN'T!! As CI stated, archery is a finesse sport and one that has to be consistently practiced or you lose that ever important muscle memory. COULD I set my bows down for 8 months then pick one up and put an arrow dead center bull at 40 yards? More than likely yes. BUT could I do it under the pressure of that 170+ class monster buck at 40 yards standing there all purdy? That my friends is where you need your muscle memory to kick in because your brain is going to be farting BIG TIME!
Old 09-03-2016, 01:13 PM
Dominant Buck

SH you certainly have a way with words. You must be pretty popular around the camp fire.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 09-04-2016 at 07:56 AM.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't shoot any sustained contact rest, like the Whisker Biscuit. Too much opportunity for imperfect follow through to mess up the shot. And of course, some of the tuning in a Whisker Biscuit is totally backwards. I want my bow to stop touching my arrow as soon as possible.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
I wouldn't shoot any sustained contact rest, like the Whisker Biscuit. Too much opportunity for imperfect follow through to mess up the shot. And of course, some of the tuning in a Whisker Biscuit is totally backwards. I want my bow to stop touching my arrow as soon as possible.
I've found if you can get loss of contact at between 1/4 to halfway through the release stroke you will have enough stabilization from a well tuned bow. Of course that is with the use of a release and not fingers. Fingers release presents a whole other sort of crazy action going on in an arrow. But your bow needs to be tuned perfectly such as center shot, noch travel accounted and compensated for with rest height, tiller, if dual cam then timing, making sure you have no cam lean as some heavy strung bows are susceptible to, just all kinds of things with a compound that many have no clue to look for. It's a simplistic format with a complicated machine for delivery.

I think part of the reason for the success of the WB, other than pure marketing genius, is it's simplicity. But when you look deeper into the design and have actual knowledge of the mechanics of archery you will see the severe faults in that design. I was looking for slow motion video of the actual release with a WB and only found one or 2. I'm sure there are more out there but I just didn't go looking that hard. One of the vids I found was with a guy showing the violent reaction of the fletchings going through the WB and was trying to tell the viewers that it actually has no impact on arrow flight!! Really? No impact? So archers for over 2 thousand years have tried to assure no fletching contact have been doing that for no reason??

Last edited by super_hunt54; 09-04-2016 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Whisker biscuits are fine? Instead of worrying about rests worry about trails, scouting, food source's, shot placement, ect?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.