Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Whisker biscuit

Old 09-06-2016, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
1. Just to be clear I agree 100% a good drop away is much better
Never doubted for a second you thought that!

2. Now, At 6' 5" you reckon its a little more natural for you to have your foot long finger around that arrow than say a guy that is 5'9" with a 3.5" finger with a compound bow?

My youngest daughter who is 5'3" accomplishes it without any difficulties so nope?

3. I will probably never hold another arrow on with my finger ever again. Its not bad form to stop doing something that is no longer functional with a compound bow.

It's functional, especially with a TM hunter prong rest.

4. I would venture to guess most bow hunters really have no business shooting deer with any rest out past distances the WB can handle.

It's not about what they can "handle" but repeatable performance and longevity of functionality.

5. He is what I do to correct my own poor form that I develop. I take my bow and I walk right up to the target and I shoot from about 2 feet away, focus 100% on my form without worrying about where my arrow goes and I retrain myself to shoot the damn thing right.

When you get to 70 and have had several shoulder injuries and broken collar bones, tell me how easy it is to retrain.....Take it from an old fart...IT AINT!

6. I'm not arguing against going to a dropaway because it mask bad form. Just pointing out a WB does not teach bad form....if anything its the other way around.
It basically is a design that is built to fail MUCH faster than any other design. Even among the other capture type rests. Now, to be fair, I know they re-designed the bristles and angle and they are supposed to be less damaging to fletching than they were previously, but with those lighter bristles comes faster wear. So, back to my original objections to the things, they in NO way can be accurate over long shooting times because of the wear and POI shift. That's my major complaint. If you can't keep practicing with your equipment, how do you plan on being the best you can be? You can't plain and simple.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
It basically is a design that is built to fail MUCH faster than any other design. Even among the other capture type rests. Now, to be fair, I know they re-designed the bristles and angle and they are supposed to be less damaging to fletching than they were previously, but with those lighter bristles comes faster wear. So, back to my original objections to the things, they in NO way can be accurate over long shooting times because of the wear and POI shift. That's my major complaint. If you can't keep practicing with your equipment, how do you plan on being the best you can be? You can't plain and simple.
Ive already have more than enough bolts and screws holding me together...I'll be done drawing bows long before 70. I certainly don't object to you using the better rest to accommodate these problems or just using them because they are better and you can.

I simply think you are exaggerating the problems with WB.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Eh - lots of guys kill game every season with tupperware stocked Ruger Americans, Savage Axis's, Rem 700 ADL's, or with Tasco, Barska, NcStar scopes, or with Remington Cor-lokt or Winchester Guys make it to work in Geo Metros and Ford Focus's.

Guys kill deer with whisker biscuits every season, guys get to work in Geo Metros.

"Working well enough" doesn't change the fact a Lexus is a better car than a Metro, a Leupold is a better scope than a Tasco, a QAD Ultra is a better rest than a Whisker Biscuit. Better is better - and "well enough" varies dependent upon the shooter's expectations. A WB doesn't meet my expectations for performance. Can I kill deer with one? Yes - can and have. Won't again though, because I won't hunt one ever again.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:46 PM
Dominant Buck

I would say that post pretty well says what a few of us are thinking. Well presented and simply stated.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Ive already have more than enough bolts and screws holding me together...I'll be done drawing bows long before 70. I certainly don't object to you using the better rest to accommodate these problems or just using them because they are better and you can.

I simply think you are exaggerating the problems with WB.
Question for you to ponder. Since each person is voicing their own opinion based upon their own experience, do you think it's likely that each person's experience can be a little different? You might buy a different vehicle, pistol or arrow rest than I simply because of your own personal experience and what you have found works best for you.

Using rifle calibers as an example--I don't mind recoil and am happy shooting a 270 and 338 (my elk rifle). Another guy might be more recoil sensitive and stick with a 243 or 25-06. Are either of us wrong? The deer we shoot are still going to be dead. But maybe each of us has a different experience with all of these calibers and has figured out what works best for us. YMMV even more and you could be a 300WM kind of guy.

I haven't archery hunted yet (someday) but have shot some with a bow. I can see where different guys could end up with different equipment that works best for them due to experience and both would be right. The WB obviously works pretty well for you but maybe it didn't work so well for SH. Both of you providing the OP with your experience assists him in learning more about the WB and making a better informed decision. Food for thought.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter
Question for you to ponder. Since each person is voicing their own opinion based upon their own experience, do you think it's likely that each person's experience can be a little different? You might buy a different vehicle, pistol or arrow rest than I simply because of your own personal experience and what you have found works best for you.

Using rifle calibers as an example--I don't mind recoil and am happy shooting a 270 and 338 (my elk rifle). Another guy might be more recoil sensitive and stick with a 243 or 25-06. Are either of us wrong? The deer we shoot are still going to be dead. But maybe each of us has a different experience with all of these calibers and has figured out what works best for us. YMMV even more and you could be a 300WM kind of guy.

I haven't archery hunted yet (someday) but have shot some with a bow. I can see where different guys could end up with different equipment that works best for them due to experience and both would be right. The WB obviously works pretty well for you but maybe it didn't work so well for SH. Both of you providing the OP with your experience assists him in learning more about the WB and making a better informed decision. Food for thought.
We all seem to agree that certain rests are better (qad ultra/ripcord code red)

I don't use a WB and certainly wouldn't argue its in the top tier.

I simply think its a decent affordable simple hunting rest and haven't seen these problems at least to the degree others claim. The problems do exist but I think they are quite exaggerated.

I think more relative advice is needed.... when the criticism of the WB is based on comparing it to a much higher end rest it would be wise to be more specific so people don't get the impression that a NAP quicktune etc. is a better option.

A simple WB is quite good within its class and I think its important to acknowledge that so people don't end up with worse (like what happened here)

Last edited by rockport; 09-09-2016 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

That's a fair statement.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...hisker-biscuit

Ive shot all 4 my self. Ive found the drop away is better slightly in performance with less maintenance, the WB is a very decent rest, and the NAP 360 is junk and the only of the 3 I'd choose a prong rest over for hunting.

Ive shot all 4 extensively
I completely missed this post you put up with that F&S link. Now for my conclusions on their tests. All 4 guys testing it are accomplished archers. Your occasional Joe hunter out there doesn't practice like these guys do on a daily or every other day basis. So Joe hunter is not going to get that repeatable accuracy from ANY capture rest because without good practice you won't have the excellent to near perfect form required for the use of a capture rest. And again I'll state this, they didn't do a LONGEVITY test which will bring about POI shift. I also noted in the comments section where one fella actually saw his buddies WB all frozen up. That actually never crossed my feeble mind but that would be a VERY bad day if you got on an Elk and had frozen bristles to contend with.

As far as the Quick tune, I've never shot with one so I have no personal knowledge of them, but I lump ALL capture rests in the same category, Junk file! I'm a perfectionist in most things. I expect my equipment to meet the unforgiving standards that I put upon myself. If I miss that 170+ class buck of a lifetime, or that fat Doe for the dinner table, you can damn sure bet I wont be blaming my equipment. I'll be too busy kicking my own rear! I know everyone can't afford to put the best equipment on their bows. In this economy people are lucky to even have a bow! But to spend money on a piece of equipment that simply just isn't up to snuff just isn't good economics in my little ole humble opinion. Especially when they can spend a few more bucks on equipment that is 100% better over the long haul.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:41 AM
Little Doe Peep

Wink

It seems as though there are different opinions regarding the WB.

For us, it turns out to be very appropriate. We stalk-still hunt, whatever it's called. So as one gets close to where you might have a shot, the WB enables one to nock an arrow and be ready, even though you may have to get down on your hands and knees to get close.

It may be that some people who use the WB only take a few shots a year. But there are a lot of people who use other rests who also take only a few shots a year. We try, unless the weather is pretty nasty, to take six shots every day. We do that in our backyard. It may not be legal in town here, for all I know. But we have trees and shrubbery to screen us, so nobody knows. We have almost 30 yards to the target. That's more than adequate, since I never take a shot more than about 10-15 yards max.

Does the WB wear out? Yes, but it's replaceable. Does it wear the fletchings? Yes, but arrows are replaceable. So for us, the way we hunt, the WB is a great thing. But, obviously, it's not for everyone.

I was reassured by the comparison tests which showed that the WB doesn't really affect arrow speed or accuracy by an appreciable amount.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:15 AM
Dominant Buck

I think your post shows the WB is actually a good enough rest for some people. Your last statement about affecting the speed is what SH was getting to. A small deviation in either speed or POI for a highly skilled archer seeking perfection is a game changer. If Olympic type perfection is the goal then the WB isn't the right tool to accomplish that along with other low end equipment. All bows and rests can and do kill deer when used properly. Dead is dead whether it is with a bow that costs in excess of $1300 with all the best of equipment and arrows or a factory packaged low end bow. The level of performance goes up with better equipment and practice along with the ability of the shooter to improve.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.