Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Practice Regime Question >

Practice Regime Question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Practice Regime Question

Old 10-19-2003, 06:23 PM

Default Practice Regime Question

I recently purchased a home in the country and have added a shooting range in the back yard. I normally shoot 50-100 arrow per day, about 5 days a week. My question is what type of practice is recommended to improve shooting accuracy or what do some of you other guys do. ie. set certain goals, shoot a a set number of arrows and certain distances, etc... My shooting is getting better but I was curious as to if there were some good formulas out there for getting better. I mainly practice for hunting and the enjoyment of shooting. thanks for the advice.
Old 10-19-2003, 09:36 PM

Default RE: Practice Regime Question

First off, congrats on the home and property. I would love to have a set-up like that.

I, personally, think you' re shooting too much. I think you' ll enjoy it more if you only shoot every other day. Plus, your muscles will have a chance to recuperate and regenerate it' s oxygen levels. I think you' ll see your shooting improve from that alone. Practice is practice, but make sure it' s quality practice. Practicing bad habits is never a good idea. You' re shooting 50-100 arrows a session, and that' s fine if you' re only shooting every other day or so. But make each arrow like it was your first one of the day. Pretend like each arrow is the only shot you' ll get at a monster buck, and make it count. Just flinging arrows is only good for two things. One, it builds up the muscles, and two, it makes the guy at the pro shop smile every time you come in to buy new arrows. When you get to the point that you can hit a 5 inch circle virtually every time at 50 yards, you' re pretty much done and have perfected your form and equipment. Then you might fall back a little and shoot maybe one arrow a day. Again, this forces you to make a perfect shot. No cheating!! Just one arrow a day. If you blow it, put it up and try again the next day and concentrate on the perfect shot. When you can do that, you' re ready for anything that steps in front of you (as long as YOU can keep your cool!)

It worked for me for many years. Good luck.
Old 10-20-2003, 06:22 AM

I would also like to add To what Danny said!
Don' t just work at set yardages, Walk about the yard, Take a guess at the yardage and fling an arrow. You' ll be surprised at the outcome This will really sharpen your yardage Skills and give some angle senses when shooting
AL
Old 10-20-2003, 08:08 AM

I found to actually get more accurate I had to cut down on the amount of arrows shot and concentrate on form and execuation. Little by little I am starting to understand why the arrow is impacting where it is. So its more quality than Quanity. Good luck...