Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Practice Question >

Practice Question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Practice Question

Old 07-07-2008, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Practice Question

When I first started bow hunting, my mentor told me when shooting from a stand you have to aim low to get the arrow to strike the honey spot. For this year, I had an thought (and yes, me having a thought does hurt), instead of having to aim low to get the arrow to strike the right spot, why not just sight the bow in from the stand? Does this make sense? If not, please tell me why. Thanks!
Old 07-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Practice Question

Ok.......first of all there should be very little , if any, change in POI from a stand VS level ground using good form.

It is true that the effective shooting yardage is slightly shorter when elevated but its very minimal at practical hunting heights from trees. As long as you are using good form and shooting the target for the actual HORIZONTAL distance from the base of your tree you should be hitting where you are aiming.

Sight in on level ground........then PRACTICE from elevation to confirm your hitting where you should.

Keep your point of aim at about "Top of the heart" height and it will give you some margin for error especially on a twitchy deer. The only time I would ever purposely aim low is in that case.....a fully alert deer that I stopped. And even then I am NEVER going to give away the heart, I'll think CENTER of the heart.

I hear of guys aiming UNDER a deer.......that's too much of a silly gamble for me. If the deer stands solid I want to hit it in the heart with that hold not shoot under it or skim the brisket.....if the deer does drop chances are he isn't getting out of the way of that hold.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Dominant Buck

why not just sight the bow in from the stand?
NOTHING wrong with that thinking.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:34 AM

well isent that what pendulum sights for....and when ishoot i always think about theentrenceholes so iaim right in the boiler roomwith in 20yds as he gets out further then i aim lower b/c he may jump the string...some may say worrie about the exit hole but what if the arrow doesent penatrate that far then your done...i put the pin onthe vitals ASAP and don't worrie about thearc
Old 07-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

When shooting from an elevated platform if you bend at the waist to keep your upper body form correct you should be shooting the same as on the ground. I have seen this time and time again and if you change your form you change your anchor point. Try it, in your elevated stand draw your bow as if you were shooting on the ground (as if you were shooting straight out and anchor)and then bend at the waist till you get your sights on your target and you will see that you will hit where you aim....Good Luck
Old 07-07-2008, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good advice TexasBH except for one thing....As a retired Senior NCO, I am a bit top heavy. If I bend at the waist, I'll be hanging from my safety strap somewhere below the stand (lol). I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
Old 07-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Matt/PA pretty much center punched this one IMO.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: AF Hunter

Good advice TexasBH except for one thing....As a retired Senior NCO, I am a bit top heavy. If I bend at the waist, I'll be hanging from my safety strap somewhere below the stand (lol). I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
Give it a shot, you won't have to bend as far as you think!!!!