Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 running tubes of glue >

running tubes of glue

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

running tubes of glue

Old 09-27-2003, 04:01 AM

Default running tubes of glue

heres a question for those who fletch arrows thats beeen a pain in the keister for me since I started a couple years ago. I have always used the glue that comes in tubes that you can pick up for 2/3 dollars- flecthtite ect. But always somewhere down the line the glue just wants to keep on running out of the tube after Ive applied it and I end up wasting alot of glue over the course of a tube no matter how quickly I reapply the cap. You know like its trying to escape from its captivity in the dreaded tube prison with a mind of its own
I know youve been there! Any suggestions or remeidies anyones come up with to stop this from happening?
Old 09-27-2003, 06:04 PM

Default RE: running tubes of glue

They have little plastic glue bottles. Just buy your deal of fletch tite and buy a bottle also, then squeeze all the fletch tite in the bottle. Glue dont run out no more. walah. Bottles are about 3 bucks.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:30 PM

I fletch arrows at the shop where I work and I always have that problem. To fix it I squeeze very slowly when applying glue and stop squeezing before I reach the end of the vane. That allows the glue to start slowing down while I' m still using it. Another thing that helps is to unscrew the mouth of the tube slightly. That seems to equalize the pressure inside and usually makes the glue stop.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:54 PM

The glue dribbles out after you stop squeezing because of an air bubble inside the tube. You compress the air slightly when you squeeze... then when you release your hand pressure, the compressed air inside expands and pushes the glue out. This " bubble is normally pretty large - occupying 1/2 the tube sometimes on the little tiny tubes. To stop the glue from running out, take the tube of glue in your hand with the tip pointing up your arm and give it a couple of good swings while keeping your arm straight - this will cause the glue to go to the bottom of the tube and the air to rise to the top. Uncap the tube, purge the air, roll up the extra foil and you' re ready to go.