Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

dip tubes

Old 01-29-2002, 12:30 AM

Default dip tubes

DO I need to buy a dip tube? Someone in my previous post about gasket lacquer said to get a dip tube and get extra gaskets. What I was planning was to make dip tubes out of 3/4 inch pvc and return the paint or lacquer to the can when done. Is this going to be a problem?

Rich
Old 01-29-2002, 02:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: dip tubes

I think so, yes. The tubes are like $11, and what the advantage is, is that they have a replacable gasket that have pre-cut holes in them that you push and then pull the arrows back through - this gasket is a squeegie and leaves a very thin layer of laquer, equal on all sides, on your arrows. Gasket Laquer dries amazingly fast, so fast (and thick) theres no way to let it drip. Gotta have dip tubes with the gaskets IMO.

Now for the minwax polyacrylic, I use a capped off, super funnel you find at WalMart auto center. It, unlike GL, will drip off evenly.
Old 01-29-2002, 03:13 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

If you plan to use GL, get the tubes. The stuff is too thick to return to the can after use--you will waste more trying than the tube will cost. You got to have the gasket to make it work--no way this stuff will run off. With other finishes, you may be able to use homemade tubes.

Chad
Old 01-29-2002, 06:12 AM
Spike

Everything they just said. Tubes aren't the place to economize for gl. For dipping in paint or stain, maybe, but not gl. I did make up one in pvc for stain, and you can even attach adapters to go to a bigger size sort of reservoir thing at the top. For gl though, the gasket lids are what you gotta have, and I don't think there's a pvc fitting that matches those lids. Then you'd still have to buy the rubber gaskets, and they don't sell that rubber at the hardware store. Just way more trouble than it's worth.
If you get some of the genuine gasket lacquer like has been suggested, that stuff needs to be at room temperature, otherwise it wears the gasket holes out faster, and is a lot harder to pull through, just because it is so thick. It is great stuff though.
Tom
Old 01-29-2002, 09:00 AM

Dont use PVC and Lacquers..the lacquer is to harsh and will sooner or later eat thru it. PVC is just fine for the poly.
Its always a good idea to get extra gaskets as they do sometimes rip.
Make sure you get the full length dip tub if you plan on doing the whole shaft.
The smaller ones are for doing crown dipping, but you probably knew that!
Old 01-30-2002, 01:07 AM

Thanks for the help I'll buy the tube. I hope I have everything covered I suppose if I don't I will find out.

Rich