Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Goldtip Arrow Spine Help >

Goldtip Arrow Spine Help

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Goldtip Arrow Spine Help

Old 02-26-2013, 11:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default Goldtip Arrow Spine Help

I am going to be shooting a spyder turbo, 29 inch draw, 65-67 pounds, with a 100 grain head. My arrow will be cut 28.5 inches carbon to carbon with a total length of 29 inches with the nock installed. My arrow of choice is the velocity pro, and I was wondering do I need to get the 300 or 340 spine. This will be used for hunting. I am not sure of the spine I need since this is a speed bow. Also, I will be shooting a carbon matrix G3 and was wondering if the same spine arrow you siggest for the turbo will work for the matrix. I would appreciate your help. Thanks everyone.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

According to the Gold Tip chart (http://www.basinarcheryshop.com/gold...selector-chart) either of the spines you selected may be too stiff. And IMO charts tend to lean toward the stiffer spine anyway. It is my honest opinion that a .400 spine would better suit your needs. But I would definately go to a pro shop and see if you could shoot both before you throw your money out.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:54 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by BHunter32
I am going to be shooting a spyder turbo, 29 inch draw, 65-67 pounds, with a 100 grain head. My arrow will be cut 28.5 inches carbon to carbon with a total length of 29 inches with the nock installed. My arrow of choice is the velocity pro, and I was wondering do I need to get the 300 or 340 spine. This will be used for hunting. I am not sure of the spine I need since this is a speed bow. Also, I will be shooting a carbon matrix G3 and was wondering if the same spine arrow you siggest for the turbo will work for the matrix. I would appreciate your help. Thanks everyone.

Hi Rod,

Hey for that set up I would suggest you using a 340 spine at least. As for "too Stiff" there is no such thing as long as you have a bow with adjustability like your Hoyt will have. The only reason a stiff arrow wont tune is due to the string not driving down the center of the arrow. You can achieve this by using your Yokes, cam position, and rest position. A weak arrow may look better initially but is only bandaiding the true problem. If you trying and cover up the error you will see less forgivibilty in your shot. GT charts have been updated for 2013 and recomend that you use the 340 spine. I personally use a Vector Trubo at 28" and 70# and the 300 is the way I went. I hope this Helps

Austin
Old 02-27-2013, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I generally find goldtip's chart to be a bit too flexible for today's super speed bows. It actually usually SAYS THAT on the box of arrows. I tend to look at hunter's friend'schart (based on the Easton chart that literally everyone else's chart is based on), then make some evaluations based on cam design, draw length, and bow speed.

Based on your inputs and the hf chart, I would personally go with a .300" spine. The .340 pops right in the middle of the range, but that would be based on a 280-300fps softer cam bow, which neither is true for the Spyder Turbo. In general, if a bow is faster than 300fps I bump up a step, if it's a an aggressive cam like the cam and 1/2, I go up for that as well, which basically puts your bow either at the ragged edge of a .330" to a .300 spine.

I'd always rather shoot a stiffer arrow than I need over having a soggy noodle flying out of my bow because the spine charts weren't accurate for my specific bow.

(For the record, I run a bow tech destroyer 350 and a Mathews Monster, and I had issues with weak spine in both of these bows when I went with goldtip's recommended shafts. Stepped up one level and my flight was much improved. I'd classify your turbo in the same realm as these two bows in terms of punishment delivered to your arrows!)
Old 02-27-2013, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gtbumblebee
...The only reason a stiff arrow wont tune is due to the string not driving down the center of the arrow...
Nock tuning is another solution for this. I shoot groups and paper tune bare shaft (rub a magic marker on your field point tip if you have issues deciding what end of a tear is tip and which is tail), turning the nocks an eighth at a time until I get the best groups with clean tears. By doing this, I can tune my arrows to my bow first, rather than trying to tune my bow to my arrows.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a Mathews Drenalin with a 29" DL, QAD Ultra Rest, Scott Release and GT Velocity XT 400's and a 100grn head, weigh 355grn. 2-1/2" Bi-Delta vanes, 3 degree RH offset in a Bitzenberger fletcher. Bullet holes more times than I can count as long as I keep my head out of my butt for a clean release. I shoot 295fps + or -.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

I was wondering the same thing!!! When the charts say a goldtip 7595 do u go with the .340 spine or the .300!/!
Old 03-14-2013, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Straight from Gold Tip's site on how to use their chart:

2. For compound bows with IBO speed rating between 315-350 FPS shot with a release aid, choose at least one box to the stiffer side (to the right) for your recommended arrow. Example : If your draw weight is 72 Ibs and your arrow length is 29", select a shaft from group number five.

The confusion with the 7595 is new. The 7595 is traditionally a .340" spine, but apparently they're now listing the camo crested 7595 Pro Hunter as a .300" spine, whereas the camo dipped XT Hunter 7595 is only a .340" spine.

For what it's worth, these faster bows, especially with the draw weights cranked up, long draw lengths, you'll want a .300" spine or stiffer, even if the chart shows the .340's are ok for you. I think in the next few years, we're going to see EVERYBODY'S charts get updated, because they're all outdated. Beman/Easton's charts are off for their arrows too, you are almost guaranteed to NEED to go 1 stiffness level higher than the chart shows. We dinked around with Beman ICS Hunter's in a 400" spine for a month last fall before I finally proved to the shooter that he ACTUALLY needed a .340" spine for his bow (Diamond Outlaw at 67# 27.5")
Old 03-14-2013, 10:01 PM
Fork Horn

Nomercy448 Thanks for the advice!