Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

string loops

Old 01-30-2002, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default string loops

I am going to start tying my own string loops this year. I have a question though. How big should the loop be? Should it be just big enough to allow for the calipers to fit, or should there be some slack in it? Basically, how much space from the bow string to the valley of the loop?

Thanks guys
Old 01-30-2002, 01:02 PM

Default RE: string loops

I start with a piece of stringloop material 4.5" long, fray the ends and melt the bulb ends in place. This will give you a fairly short loop, but enough room for the caliper to fit nicely. It will appear pretty tight at first, but will stretchout and settle-in quickly. Most stringloops IMHO are too long on most archers bows due because they are tied to long to begin with before the stretch.
Old 01-30-2002, 02:10 PM
Fork Horn

I have just enough room to EASILY attach my release with an arrow nocked. I start with loop string just under 4" after ends are melted.
Old 01-30-2002, 04:21 PM

I agree with both these guys just long enough to easily get the release on any more than that just causes anchor point issues
Old 01-30-2002, 05:51 PM

I agree with the other guys here also. when you tie your loop, grab your release and nock an arrow and check your clearance. I like them to almost touch when I first tie my loop on. that way after a few shots the cord should strech to the optimum nock to release caliper clearance. after you get your loop on you can make fine adjustments in your nock height by threading the loop up and down the string serving. then attach a crimped on nock against the top knot or tie on another peice of serving string to stop loop movement. DO NOT FORGET TO BURN THE ENDS!!!!
Old 01-30-2002, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

I have seen string loops tied so many ways over the last months, and was wondering how you all tie them. I have seen them used with just the loop, with a brass nock locater, tied on nocks, and even the loop completely tied below the arrow nock with a nock above the arrow nock. What works best for you all, and which is easier to make tuning adjustments? Thanks.
Old 01-30-2002, 10:46 PM
Fork Horn

i tie mine above and below the knock. string loops were devloped so that you can eliminate string or knock pinch, some short bows actualy un knock an arrow if shot with out them. and second so your peep rotates to the level site position. make sure at full draw it doesent cant the peep causing it to apear elicptical.
Ron