Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Arrow Grouping Question >

Arrow Grouping Question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow Grouping Question

Old 09-16-2003, 06:00 PM

Default Arrow Grouping Question

Take a look at the pic guys.... maybe this seems like a silly post - maybe Im being hard on myself.

After I had shot about 60-80 shots - this was a 32 yard group (measured with laser) Compared to most - ( I shoot alone) how is that group REALLY ? Its a hair over 3" wide.......

Im just wondering how I am comparing to most people.....

I was having some trouble getting my bow back in tune because I had changed some things (tryin new stuff) and learned IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT !!!

I was touching the arrows at 20 and just started walking around the yard shooting..... this was my last group tonight - I was getting tired and it was almost dark out ( I had to lighten the pic)

Tom

PS To giva ya an idea of how long I have been working at re-tuning - ALL the holes (less a dozen) in that target were from me paper tuning.......

Old 09-16-2003, 07:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Arrow Grouping Question

A rule of thumb is 1" per 10 yards so slightly over 3" at 32 yrds is right on the ball.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:28 PM

That looks pretty good - a little low and to the left

JFYI - trash those gt nocks and plug in some easton uni' s.
Old 09-17-2003, 09:07 AM

eightwgt,

Are your groups always that shape? Your only at an inch or so up and down. If you normally shoot groups like that (horizontal) I would take a day where the wind was calm and I was holding and shooting my best and do a little group tuning. Put a vertical line on the target and make small left or right adjustments to the rest in an attempt to get all arrows on the line or at least as close as those in the picture are now (up a down). That would be awesome groups from a hunting setup. Those left and rights might also be something small in your form you could iron out (like your grip or shoulder alignment or drawlength not perfect for you yet). Post a pic of your form if you want help there (actually one from each side, one from behind and one behind-above).

To answer your question, the average hunter would probably be way satisfied with that accuracy level. If you want to see how you compare to other archers, shoot compeditively. It' s a blast and more affordable to be compeditive at then alot of other sports (at least those involving equipment, moto cross/ firearm shooting sports/ etc.).

Here is one of my better groups at 40 yds when I was starting to get serious (out of a 20 year old Martin/ hunting setup).

Here is a group at 50 meters (approx 54 yds) from a few months back when I had just switched back from Fita arrows to 3D arrows.

For comparison, I consider myself to be an above average archer. I' ve shot for 3, almost 4 years and started competing at the end of last summer. I took 3rd in the Outdoor State Championship FITA this June on my first attempt which was only the second time scoring a round. I had 6 wins and several top 3 places this year (Mens Bowhunter Open/MBO) on the local 3D circuit, in my " rookie" year. We have two shoots left, one of which is a broadhead shoot. I might seem to be bragging but I have worked hard and I' m proud of the progress I' ve had.

You seem to be shooting well and should be proud of yourself also. I would be.

-Chief
Old 09-17-2003, 02:33 PM

that looks like a pretty good group to me. I would be pleased with that from 32 yards.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:44 PM

EIGHTWGT....You could do some ultra fine tooning but with those groups you will still be able to down a deer or elk within 40 yards....nice grouping...good luck