Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Question about a grouping >

Question about a grouping

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Question about a grouping

Old 06-13-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Question about a grouping

I had some bullets loaded for me in .243 with the 95 grn. Nosler Balistic Tip. I was expecting very tight groupings with this round and got about 2.5" at 200 yards. Needless to say I will be letting the guy that reloads my bullets know that we have work to do.

I also had some bullets loaded for me in 7mm Ultra Mag with the 139 grn. SST. I was not too happy with these loads either until the 8th and 9th shot. The 1st shot through the 6th shot traveled 8.5 inches to the right and 2.5 inches down. Every shot I took went further to the right. I checked everything on the rifle and everything was locked down.
The 7th shot was 2.75 inches high and .75 inches right. My eighth and ninth shot were stacked at 2.5 inches low and .75 inches left.

At 300 yards I expect the .75 inches left and right is me but the up and down spread of 5.25 inches isn't. I have a 18 power scope and shoot pretty regular at these distances.

My question is on the .243 what should I suggest to my reloader or should he know where to go with this problem.

On the 7mm Ultra Mag. Why the crazy first 7 shots then stack 8 and 9?
Old 06-13-2005, 01:50 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Question about a grouping

My question is on the .243 what should I suggest to my reloader or should he know where to go with this problem.
I think you are expecting alot from your buddy on the reloads. Some rifles, you got it first trip out. Rarely. Some it takes change of powder, or change in bullet wieght. There is no problem or wrong way or right way. Maybe the gun is a 1.25MOA gun and the groups you got coorespond to that.

As far as the 7mmRUM, thats a weird one. Is this repeatable? Have you proved this more than once or is POI all over the place?

Old 06-13-2005, 02:18 PM

Bigcountry,

The .243 has given me .5 inch and .25 inch groups at 200 yards with factory loads, so it isn't the gun.

I shot 9 shots with the 7mm ultra mag. The first six shots were like stairs droping.5 inches and moving to the right 1 inch to 1.5 inchs every shot. I let the gun cool about 5 min. between shots for the first 6 shots, then went to another gun. Then came back to shoot the 7mm ultra mag and shot the 7th thru 9th shot.

Again, I have shot 1 inch and less groupings with facory loads with this gun. It is a Rem 700 Scendero
Old 06-13-2005, 02:32 PM

Hitting it dead one the first combination out is pretty unusual, IME. Different powders, different charges can have a very large impact on group size. I've never been a fan of using someone else's handloads because every rifle is an individual. That combination might shoot moa or less in another rifle, and might do better or worse in yet a third.

I don't load or shoot any of the ultra superduper mags, but you definately have an issue there. If it does much better with some factory loads, it is a pretty good bet the problem is not barrel or bedding related. Sounds like inconsistent cartridges...maybe bullet pull is variable, maybe case necks are inconsistant, could even be brass too long for the chamber.
Another reason to load your own and not put too much trust in someone else's handloads.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:38 PM

I agree. I just havn't got around to ordering reload equipment. I have been telling myself to do it for the past two years and still havn't.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:47 PM
bigcountry

Well, what I was trying to tell you, is there could be multiple things. I don't think anyone on here could tell you its this or that with the 243.

You asked if we could tell you or should he know. Good luck.

Old 06-13-2005, 03:41 PM

Yes I did ask and you gave me the information that I was looking for. I thank you for that. I was just giving you more information, letting you know that it isn't the guns. Knowing that you guys reload all the time, I figured you guys would know where to start with the information that I gave you.

Thanks again.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stone Cold, just trying to help here. Most of the time when someone asks questions on here, it helps when they give a little more detail. Example: I loaded 140 gr bullets with a col of 3.29 and IMR 4350 powder with winchester primers etc.......most of the troubleshooters on here need a little more to go on before they can work their magic. If you can supply a little more Im sure the guys on here can help.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:55 PM
Typical Buck

If your groups move on the horizontal plane then watch your trigger pull. If they move on the vertical plane watch your breathing. If your groups are all over the place its either inconsistancy of both trigger pull and breathing or your ammunition is not reloaded very good. Not saying your a bad shot just most people don't know how to fix their shooting habits and know the difference of what they are doing wrong. When I shoot it's like a snap shot goes off an that image is in the mind. I don't even have to look to see where it went I know when the shot goes off. (Provided the rifle is sighted in).

Always take a break that day or try another day before changing reloads. Everyone has perfect days and not so perfect.

also food for thought before you try for groups take your first three shots and find something interesting at the range and let them go down range. Then your calm and set for grouping.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:48 PM

Your guns may just not like those powder type and charge. Alot of loads that are accurate in some rifles won't shoot worth crap in others. For example, I found a accurate load for my 22-250 that shot one hole groups at 100 yds. A friend tried the same load in his and it shot a 3" group, I then had him try a load that was .9 grains less. The result, one hole groups. Also, with my 300 win mag, the best I could get with IMR 4350 with 180 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips was 1.5" groups. I then switched to RL22 and it now shoots 3/4" groups. That being said, you often won't find the accurate load at first, it takes alot of experimenting with different powders and primers and even the COL. Have him load up some more with different powder charges and see if it gets any better. Don' t be surprised if just a 1 grain or less difference shrinks the group because that does happen.

Quick Reply: Question about a grouping

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.