Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Low K.E.  Should I use cut on contact broadheads? >

Low K.E. Should I use cut on contact broadheads?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Low K.E. Should I use cut on contact broadheads?

Old 09-08-2003, 01:49 PM

Default Low K.E. Should I use cut on contact broadheads?

My kinetic energy is at about 48 ft/lbs. I currently use Thunderhead 100' s. My question is: With my somewhat low K.E. would it be better for me to use one of the cut on contact broadheads? Or am I going to be just fine and quit worrying about it? Thanks
Old 09-08-2003, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Low K.E. Should I use cut on contact broadheads?

I would think you' d probably be ok with those, but if you are concerned about it, look at the Magnus Stingers 100gr. They would probably give you a little edge on marginal hits. Shot placement is the key regardless...we all know that. What type of success have you had with your setup the way it is now?
Old 09-08-2003, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I killed a few deer using the exact same broadhead and the exact same amount of K.E. I was shooting an old Golden Eagle Pro Hawk using 2213' s off an overdraw...420-ish grain arrow at 222 FPS IIRC.

If you are using a very light arrow (under 400 grains) and you have short draw/low poundage then I would reccomend the cut on contacts..if you are pushing a heavier arrow really slow to get that KE, then I' d say the T' head will work fine with proper shot placement as it will have more monentum @ impact.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:57 AM

Thanks for the replies. I agree with both of you. Proper shot placement is the key. I just didn' t want to have a good shot and still get poor penetration.

WV Hunter - I haven' t had any success with my set-up as it is now. Bought my Bowtech Tomkat a year and a half ago. Didn' t see anything I wanted to take last year so my bow is still waiting for it' s first kill.

JeffB - I am using a light arrow 380 grains(Beman ICS 500' s). My draw length is 27" . I' m pulling 60lbs. I haven' t chrono' d it in a while since I have been tweeking it the last few months. The 48ft/lbs is what my K.E. was before the tweeking so I' m assuming it is still pretty close to that.

Thanks again.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

If it were me, I' d probably go with a two blade cut on contact broadhead, and stick with about 8-10 grains per pound on the arrow weight.
Old 09-10-2003, 01:00 PM

Using a 46# (over 28" draw) American " Cheeta" recurve, mounted with 6-blade coned-nose Wasps; at 15 yards one head buried in the spine, the 2nd head took out the heart.

You shot placement will be the same area on the deer as it is for everyone. Put the head in the zone and you should be fine. However, cut-on-contact head will give you better penetration possibility.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deert, don' t look at using cut on contact as a bad thing. I' ve been flinging different broadheads while dialing in my rest and when I shoot the cut on contact it goes right through my broadhead target and slams into my plywood backstop. I currently have 70 ft/lbs ke and am still considering using the cut on contact b/h' s.

The fact that they bury themselves into the backstop consistently when the others (muzzy 100 3 blade, slick trick 4 blade) barely make it through is a good indicator to me on how well they work.

I would look at the stingers as well.