Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 cut on contact broadheads >

cut on contact broadheads

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

cut on contact broadheads

Old 08-05-2007, 02:38 PM

Default cut on contact broadheads

i shoot montec g5 broadheads. i love them, the question i have is they impact about 3 to 4 inches left of where my target pointsdo. is it me, (my technique) or is it the broadheads? (bow is tuned)
Old 08-05-2007, 03:06 PM

Default RE: cut on contact broadheads

Not you (probably). 3 - 4" at what distance? The thing you need to establish is a 3 arrow pattern. All 3 field points at 20 yds vs. all 3 Montec's at 20 yards. Having established there IS a pattern, most archers have to retune theirbowevery year to adjust for the difference between BH and FP shots.
There are guys on here (and I bow to their prowess . . . "I'm not worthy!")
that will tell you a BH should shoot the same as your FP on a properly tuned bow. I never could. Had to reset my sights every season from FP's to BH's. Even scored my sights so I could quickly go to one or the other.

BUT! I just bought some Slick Tricks (NOT a commercial) and to my amazement . . . truly did shoot exactly where my FP's shot. FP's and ST's patterned within a 2" circle at 30 yards! I still can't believe it. I have to go out back every few hours or so and shoot again just to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

I have to use different dots on target so I don't cut the fletches they shoot so good. I've gone through Thunderheads, Magnus 2-blade, Nap Crossfires and even tried the NAP Spitfires (they shot very good, but don't like mechanicals). Always ended up retuning my bow. Not any more.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just a possibility that your bow wasn't/isn't tuned as well as you were thinking. Maybe it is the broadhead (though I've never heard bad reports on the Montecs), but could just as easily be the fact that (and I'm taking a guess here) that you've been shooting with field points most of the summer, and that a very slight trouble spot has been allowed to surface now that you've switched to fixed blades. Remember, any fixed-blade broadhead is going to magnify any tuning inconsistencies "covered up" by shooting field points, IMO.

You can try to bring your field points and your broadheads' POI (point of impact) together by moving your rest in toward your bow very slightly (I'm talking 1/32"or so to start with). Re-shoot both your broadheads and your field points. Eventually, you should be able to hit them pretty much spot-on.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.broadheadtests.com/TUNING.html
Old 08-19-2007, 12:48 PM

the three to four inch difference was at 50 yards. at 10 20 and thirty yards it is roughly an inch to two inches
Old 08-19-2007, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Move your rest about 1/32", or less,max to the left and see if that doesn't fix the problem.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:05 PM

I concur. Sounds like a slight tweak to the horizontal arrow rest position and you will be there. My experience with the Montecs shooting the same as field points (from a tuned bow) has been very good. And the groups have been excellent as well.