Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Starting to shoot a scope >

Starting to shoot a scope

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Starting to shoot a scope

Old 01-29-2002, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default Starting to shoot a scope

hello guys i have a question i have a revolution triumph bow and i shoot hunter class. I win a lot of the tournaments that i am in with hunter sights and they guys that shoot open at local archery shops told me that i should consider switching to a scope. Because they said as good as a shot as i am that i would be a dead eye with a scope. So what im asking is how long would it take to change into shotting a scope as far as the transition period. And how much diferent is it do you zoom in a lot what exactly do the long stabilizers help do. And most important can you tell me what is nice stuff to use stabilizers scopes etc. thank you
Old 01-29-2002, 07:56 PM
tm
Fork Horn

Default RE: Starting to shoot a scope

When you start with a scope keep it 4X or under. You see a lot more movement with a scope and it can unnerve some people. Look for a reasonably priced sight and scope combination, you can always upgrade. Personally I shoot a Toxonics sight and Bullseye Boss 4X scope, when I shoot the open class. One thing I've found is that in my area the scope shooters are way too serious about the game and I enjoy shooting the pin class more. If I was to do it again I'd buy a Spot Hog pin sight and enjoy that class. I've been there done that.
Old 01-29-2002, 10:23 PM

Whats a Spot Hog Pin? Who makes it? I shoot a 4 pin Tru Glo and won two shoots last summer.
Old 01-30-2002, 01:20 AM

What is the long stabilizer good for - Well it helps bring together the ASA and IBO rules, I don't like shooting them 3D all that much, But seriously it makes the bow somewhat more stable. I am partial to the Shrewd Precision set up, but I also just use an Okie Al tube, and don't find it any the worse. I like the look of the Shrewd scope also, but I shoot Super scope since I have them already I shoot the Super site By the same people, and I really like it, but find the quality not good enough to generaly recomend. If I was buying a new one I would probably go for one of the CBE units, the simpler the better. I haven't been able to practice enough to feel competitive in this class and am probably going to drop shooting it. There is broader comp in the pin classes where I live.
Old 01-30-2002, 01:22 AM

You might find this interesting:

http://www.specialtyarch.com/ontarget.html
Old 01-30-2002, 07:41 AM

I shoot both Freestyle and Bowhunter Freestyle classes. When I started with a scope I went directly to a 6X scope after surveying what most archers used around the club. I have to admit that I shot a few wrong spots for a while until I got accumulated to the scope on target. The movement was not that much of a big deal for me, and was shooting well fairly quickly. The hard part is going back and forth between classes and not making mental mistakes. If I have been shooting pins for a while, remembering to change the sight elevation on the scope is a challenge sometimes. I like to use freestyle to practice for pin shooting to increase my holding ability. Practicing pin gapping is a separate issue after shooting scope.

Edited by - FLHunter on 01/30/2002 08:42:48
Old 01-30-2002, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

Scope shooting may also depend on what type of target shooting you are doing. Many archers prefer a smaller scope diameter for indoor spots, and a slightly larger scope for outdoor/3D for its light gathering ability.

Also look at your peep size. Clarity of the scope is a very individual thing- what may be crystal clear for me may be a bit fuzzy to you, especially at the higher powers. You may have to play with sight bar extension length for clarity as well. But the farther out you go, the more "shakiness" you will see in your sight picture.

Also consider how well the scope diameter size fits in your peep hole size while eyeing up the target.
Old 01-30-2002, 06:56 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]