Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 is whisker biscuit a good choice >

is whisker biscuit a good choice

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

is whisker biscuit a good choice

Old 09-11-2003, 03:52 PM

Default RE: is whisker biscuit a good choice

What' s his name? Must be great getting to hunt with this great one. Heck, if he started hunting when he was 15 and if he is 65, he averaged 12 KILLS A YEAR.
What' s so impossible about that? I know a few guys who hunt 4-5 months each year in a few states. I' m positive that at least a couple are averaging very near that amount, or more. This is just within my limited circle of friends who hunt. I can only imagine the number across the country who have done this. I think you underestimate the ability of a hunter with a lot of time on his hands, and the desire, to take lots of big game each year. In addition, I know lots of guys who hunted for more than 50 years - lots.

By the way, the whisker biscuit is a great hunting rest. I just got back from an elk hunting trip and out of the 5 guys on the hunt, 4 used whisker biscuits. 3 out of those 4, took elk- all over 40 yards. I was the only one using the WB who didn' t get an elk. I didn' t get an elk within range.
Old 09-11-2003, 04:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

In a way, I agree with C903. Fletching contact with the rest is to be avoided at all cost. That' s been a truth of archery ever since arrow rests came along. The WB means total fletching contact and is a direct affront to that old truth. They do rob some speed off the arrow and, with so many people willing to spend hundreds of dollars on a bow that shoots a few fps faster than their old bow, that' s going against the grain too.

I don' t like the way you have to load an arrow into the things, at least in their original version, mainly because there' s no way in the world to load an arrow for a quick follow-up shot. Then it dawned on me that we' re talking compounds, generally shot with a mechanical release, and there won' t be a quick follow-up shot in any case.

Some friends I' ve shot with for a long time switched to WB' s. The rests are dead quiet. Their arrows shoot straight, and they shoot just as accurately with the WB as they did with any rest they' d used before. WB' s appeal to me because they are simple, basic rests without a lot that can go wrong. If I were to use one, it would be the new side loading model.

But I' m completely satisfied with the rests I use and have no plans at all to switch to the WB.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Who said it was impossible, I know I never did. As a matter of fact, I even said that it would be great to have the opportunity to hunt with someone with that much hunting " wisdom" . I even thought with a name, we would even probably know of the person from record books or even just hear say. Didn' t mean to get your pantys in a wad And just for the record, I shoot with the WB, and have for a couple fo years and won' t be changing any time soon. And two of my buddys got elk already this season, both using the WB, one was 42 yrds. and the other was at 61 yrds. SO, with the proper set up, the WB can assist in accuracy just as well as any other rest.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:45 PM

Finally got my drop tine biscuit on and sighted in tonite Really didn' t have to sight anything. I had to move my loop less than 1/4" for the arrow to nock at 90 degrees to the string but other than that everything else was still dead on Very satisfied so far now after season I think I' ll start shooting turbo nocks
Old 09-13-2003, 02:29 PM

Who said it was impossible
I know that I never said, that you said it was impossible. You must be inferring that I said, you said it. I was only responding to your post that was dripping with sarcasim. I' m the one who used the word " impossible" . Substitute " difficult" or " unrealistic" if you' d like. Either way, I' m suggesting that it' s not as unlikely as you may think.

Old 09-14-2003, 03:44 AM

As a pro shop owner I have set up several on bows. I finally wanted to try the WB myself on the hunting bow. I installed the new WB easy load model for carbon. I found had to do zero adjustment in the paper tune and got great arrow and broad head flight. It did slow the speed of the bow down by about 10 feet per sec. But what I want for a hunting bow is a steady shooting platform, the WB meets all these requirements. I for one highly recommend it for the new carbon arrows. I also did not find that you wore out vanes or feathers so far, I have shot 300+ arrows thru the rest.