Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Montec Sharpening Demystified! >

Montec Sharpening Demystified!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Montec Sharpening Demystified!

Old 08-17-2003, 01:35 AM
Typical Buck

Default Montec Sharpening Demystified!

I have decided to use the Montec broadheads this year, like many others on this board. But The whole sharpening process, while seemingly simple has never produced the edge that I have strived to attain. Well tonight I stumbled upon a darn near foolproof method to get these things scary sharp.

The first thing, is that you do not need the diamond stone that they recomend.
I dumped $30 for a diamond stone at Lowes this weekend, only to find out that I could not get a decent edge using it.

Here is my approach:
I started with the heads right out of the tube.
Get a new flat piece of 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper, lay it on a flat surface and begin to sharpen the head as they recomend (push the head, point first, away from you). Keep stroking the same side until all of the side to side tooling marks have been removed from the blade edges and have been replaced with a very fine pattern of lines running front to back.
Repeat for the other 2 sides of the broadhead. It took between 10 and 15 strokes per side to make all of the original lines disappear.

Now change to a piece of 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and lay it down on the table and repeat the previous process. For this step the fine lines left by the 600 girt paper will be replaced by a near mirror edge on the blades. Keep stroking until the entire length of the blades is highly polished. As you work the blades, a gray streak will develop down the paper. Keep stroking over this stripe. As the grit fills up, it effectively becomes a lower and lower grit, putting a better edge on the blades.

It took me about 5 minutes per head, and the result was all of them ending up sharp enough to shave the hair off my arm.

Old 08-17-2003, 07:04 AM
nub

Default RE: Montec Sharpening Demystified!

Why mess with them fresh out of the tube? I' ve still got bald spots where the hair hasn' t grown back. Shoot that head into some sand or dirt a couple dozen times and then let me know if you' ve demystified the montec.
Old 08-17-2003, 06:52 PM
Typical Buck

For the ones I " bugger up" during practice, a 12" flat bastard file works wonders at removing any dings in the blades. After that, it' s on the the sandpaper for the final honing.

As for them coming out of the tube sharp, I think that they probably could be used without any touch up, but they certainly are not shaving sharp. At least the two tubes I bought were not. The points were extremely sharp but the blades had a slightly serrated feel due to the tooling marks. After honing, the whole head is just scary sharp. The edge of the blade will easily remove hair, but to run your thumb down it' s length it is absoloutely smooth. No burs of any type.
Old 08-17-2003, 10:12 PM

What I heard from the pro shop is that they don' t feel sharp is because they are cut in a diff. angle so they wil get a better flight out of the BH

{KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE}[8D]
Old 08-18-2003, 05:56 AM

The method 98Redline mentioned, is a very common method used in the woodworking community. The Scary Sharp method is described very well below. It works, and will sharpen any blade, far better than when it' s done at the factory.

[link]http://www.shavings.net/SCARY.HTM[/link]
Old 08-18-2003, 12:55 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-21-2003, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

98Redline, Would 1000 grit paper work for the honing?