Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Razor Cap and Montec sharpening? >

Razor Cap and Montec sharpening?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Razor Cap and Montec sharpening?

Old 02-04-2006, 06:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default Razor Cap and Montec sharpening?

I am interested to know if anyone knows how to sharpen these cut on contact heads. I have the razor caps and have been unsuccessful at putting that razor edge on them. I saw a 2 sided stone that G5 sells. Has anyone had experience with them?? How easy is it to use and obtain a shaving edge??? thanks guys for the info.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Razor Cap and Montec sharpening?

I see that G5 outdoors has sold 3 different one (400/1200 grit diamond, 600 grit/leather, and 600 grit/1200 grit diamond). any one of these better than the others?
Old 02-05-2006, 08:05 AM
Typical Buck

btt
Old 02-05-2006, 08:22 AM

With thr Razorcaps why not just buy new bades?and with the Montecs,their website has a link to show you how to sharpen them.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:59 PM
Typical Buck

just trying to save money and sharpen em myself. I looked at there link but am confused. there video shows a diamond sharpener with a leather pad on the back. the one cabela's sells has no leather strope on it but a double sided diamond grit of 400/1200. the sharpener that is displayed at the montec site has a double diamond grit of 600/1200. now do you see? I have some razor caps and don't know if I can sharpen them the same way as themontecs. I am confused!
Old 02-06-2006, 05:06 PM
Typical Buck

just bought the montec sharpener and have honed with it for 30 minutes or so and still cannot get a razor edge. Am I the only one on here that has tried to sharpen 3 blade heads?
Old 02-06-2006, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been using the G5 Montec for the previous 2 seasons now and the one thing I have learned is that they are really difficult to sharpen, especially the tip after the tiniest of imperfections. I just learned to buy new heads. Yes, they are expensive, but loosing a big deer is far worse.

Montec has come out with a replacement broadhead that looks good, but does it kill deer? I am trying to find any and all info. on this new head ASAP. You can check out the website.. but it has little info. on this new head.[&:]
Old 02-06-2006, 10:16 PM
Site Bouncer

I just answered this on another post....must be Montec night.I also had a difficult time at first but I learned how to get a good edge on them. First I put the blade on the stone and moved it side to side with pressure to get a good sharp edge back. You can tell you have a good edge because it will start to "bite" when you cross your thumb over it. Be carefull not to cut yourself! Once this was done, I went back to the stone but this time I used very slight pressure, just enough so the blade doesn't slip out of your fingers. I also moved the blade a little faster on the stone. After alittle time it will be sharp enough to shave hair with it.

Another trick I do is,Idonot use any oil on the stone.Without oil you will see the fine "dust" that is left on the stone from the blade. After a while it will build up and make the stone smoother. I sharpen with pressure all of the blades I am doing first. Then after the stone is full of "metal and stone shaving dust" I go back and light sharpen the blades. The stone automatically isfiner and smoother because of thebuild up.This will put afiner, aka sharper edge on the broadheads.

After I'm done I wash the stone with dish soap and it cleans up perfect, ready to go again. I do this with all of my knifes as well, infact I have never used oil ever.