Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
cutting carbon arrows >

cutting carbon arrows

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

cutting carbon arrows

Old 08-24-2011, 10:42 AM
Spike

Default cutting carbon arrows

What is the best method for cutting my carbon arrows to length? And, what am I supposed to use to glue the inserts?
Old 08-24-2011, 11:36 PM
Spike

a high speed cutoff wheel. I use a cabelas 8000rpm arrow cutter but you can use a dremel, just make sure it's a straight cut. Don't try to cut straight through. Cut just far enough in and then rotate the arrow for a flush cut. Use AAE fastset or another type of arrow glue for the insert. You can use super glue but I would suggest the gel, not liquid because it can dry too quickly. I've seen some use liquid super glue and it dried so fast they didn't get the insert in all the way, it was glued in with about a 1/4 inch hanging out of the arrow.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:46 AM
Spike

Thanks brother. I had a good friend that lived in North Pole, AK about...holy crap, 18 years ago...damn I'm old.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:00 PM
Spike

i have used a pipe cutter(copper pipe) on a dozen arrows and it seems to work fine for me so far. its a pretty clean cut. just slowly keep adjusting the pressure every couple turns.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bowtech86n
i have used a pipe cutter(copper pipe) on a dozen arrows and it seems to work fine for me so far. its a pretty clean cut. just slowly keep adjusting the pressure every couple turns.
That will work OK on aluminium, but not on carbon. It will cause the fibers to split and crack, leading to a split/damaged arrow.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Judging by your second question your not to handy. If you were I'd say skip buying a designated saw that will just cut arrows and by something that is a multi use.

I'm a carpenter with many different saws and a good knowledge of blades and I use one of my miter saws with a fine toothed carbine tipped blade and a backer board that holds the arrow true and keeps the back of the arrow from any splintering (not needed but I do it just because that's always good). My saws are good enough to cut things way more difficult and expensive, they sure can cut an arrow. Just saying, buy something like that and use it for other things or sell it when your done.

Truthfully I don't think arrow saw are all that good of a saw and would never spend the money on one. A dremel will do it but I wouldn't use one of those either. When I do use one they create a lot of dust and carbon dust isn't good for you, beside you'd have to build a jig to cut them square. A pipe cutter I'd use if I was days away from civilization and needed an arrow to keep from starving. The wheel for starters is a wedge and a wall as thick as an arrow would be like cutting it with an axe.

The glue is per manufactures recommendations. On some I skip there talk and use super glue and quickly, don't try that with HIT insert. Not big on reading directions I take it.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bowtech86n
You're very lucky you haven't had an arrow explode in your hand. NEVER cut an arrow with a pipe cutter! Ever!
Old 09-01-2011, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Passed on carbon arrows; once upon a time

I was nearly ready to move from aluminum to carbon. Except for one problem. I would have to give up my hand hack saw, inexpensive of course, for an electric archery saw, costing more than $100.

Of course, I stayed with aluminum or alloy as they are called now, and still have my hand hack saw. If I make the switch now, I'd still use an electric saw, but one from a building supply that can be used for other projects.

In fact, I still have a ceramic tile cutter, whose blade will make an excellent carbon arrow cutter.
But the aluminum arrows still shoot straight for me. The electric tile cutter blade is sitting ready in reserve. It's all paid for from household jobs; I'm cheap you know.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

harbor freight has cut off saws cheep , around 20 bucks with a blade
Old 09-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Valentine
I was nearly ready to move from aluminum to carbon. Except for one problem. I would have to give up my hand hack saw, inexpensive of course, for an electric archery saw, costing more than $100.

Of course, I stayed with aluminum or alloy as they are called now, and still have my hand hack saw. If I make the switch now, I'd still use an electric saw, but one from a building supply that can be used for other projects.

In fact, I still have a ceramic tile cutter, whose blade will make an excellent carbon arrow cutter.
But the aluminum arrows still shoot straight for me. The electric tile cutter blade is sitting ready in reserve. It's all paid for from household jobs; I'm cheap you know.
Tile saw would work good and with the water keep the dust down. The guide isn't all that great as tile depends greatly on grout covering a multitude of sin. Still, I think it would work very well. Have to give it a shot some day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.