Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Straight VS Helical fletching >

Straight VS Helical fletching

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Straight VS Helical fletching

Old 07-22-2003, 10:16 AM

Default Straight VS Helical fletching

I am refletching my carbon arrows to get more clearance..... Can you guys give me a few opinions on straight fletching ?? I may just go a few degrees, maybe one or 2 deg.

Also - what about putting a few degrees on 2 vanes, and keeping the one that goes through my rest straight ???

thanks guys[8D]
Old 07-22-2003, 10:49 AM

Default RE: Straight VS Helical fletching

1st of all if your going to d one you have to do them all otherwise your arrow wont fly straight. Also it really depends on what kind of bow you are shooting. If you are 270 fps+ i would stick with the straight because you can get a 40 yard shot out of it with out any help. Now if you are shooting at something smaller than that it wouldnt be a bad idea. It will help keep your arrow straight and in the are at farther distances. Hope i could help.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:58 AM

1st of all if your going to d one you have to do them all otherwise your arrow wont fly straight
Not what I and others have noticed - they fly the same with cock feather straight.

If you are going to shoot fixed heads I would not recommend a straight fletch. I few degrees 2 or 3 will make a big dif IMO and be a much more forgiving setup.

Also feathers are MUCH more forgiving when it comes to rest contact. You can shhot them real well even if they are touching the rest a bit.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:40 AM

I' ve been experimenting with fletching vanes in different ways. I' ve tried them at different angles on the same arrow (not all 120 degrees apart) and with different degrees of offset. So far, all the arrows appear to fly the same. I also commonly practice with an arrow that has only two vanes, and I can' t see any significant difference. As long as the fletching isn' t bouncing off of something, I don' t think there will be a huge difference in flight. I will mention that I' m doing this out of a well tuned bow, that will put a bare shaft very close to my regular arrows. If it was way out of tune, the results may have been much different.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:56 PM

My bow is quite well tuned... Im shooting about 240 FPS - a Bear Code compound...
I too can put my unfletched shafts close (about 8" low) at 20 yards

Everyone seems to conflict on this answer....... I like plastic vanes one...

I am probobly shooting fixed heads this year -Steel Force 100 grain heads .... and want to fix this clearance problem........ geeeess..... what to do ?
Old 07-22-2003, 01:12 PM

what to do ?
First thing would be to move your nock down, and or, loosen the spring tension on your rest. 8" low at 20 yds is not that great at all.

Your fixed heads will hit Low from your field points and " may" not group well.

I think the bow may need a little fine tuning with fixed heads to get it perfect