Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 helical vs. straight >

helical vs. straight

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

helical vs. straight

Old 09-15-2007, 01:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default helical vs. straight

I was shooting today and things went from bad to worse. Was shooting great with FPs and then switched to BHs. Thats when things got bad, arrows hitting left consistently but sometimes on money.To make a long story short I found that the practice arrows(3) that I was using were not consistent. 2 had straight fletching and one had helical fletching. Would this drive me crazy? Any input would be appreciated.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: helical vs. straight

I have always shot Helical for Broadheads. To me it's the only way to go

Dan
Old 09-15-2007, 06:36 PM

Yes, you are definately going to need helical if you want to have any good broadhead groups. With straight fletchings the arrow does not spin, when the arrow does not spin a untrue broadhead alignment will send it planing off. With a helical fletch the effects of the planing will be less and groups will improve. To help with broadhead alignmentI use the G5 ASD. Works very well.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:17 PM
Typical Buck

I always shoot helical but somewhere along the way I had some refletched and they must have got mixed with some straight ones or something. My main concern is that my bow is not that seriously out of tune. If I shot a straight and then shot a helical, the difference would be very apparent right? I will be at the archery shop first thing tomorrow to straighten out my arrow prob. and hopefully be back on the money. Less than one month until season opener and I dont need this drama.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:41 PM

never mind
Old 09-17-2007, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot great groups with broadheads using a straight, offset right fletch.

But then again I use feathers... and the Lord put some helical on those for me anyway. Can't beat a vain designed by the hand of God. If it will stabilize a 20 pound turkey in flight, my 454gr arrows shouldn't be no problem at all.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:02 PM
Typical Buck

Just to set this saga to bed, I went and got 6 brand new ACCs with 4" 2 deg. offset vanes(like I usually shoot). Shot about a dozen with field tips(all bullets at 20 yds.) Then screwed on the 100 gr. strikers and consistently shot tight groups with the field tips. What a load off my back. Now I just have to shoot them out to 50 just to make sure. Offset or helical definitely makes the difference. I will say though, that my pro shop does not recommend too much helical saying it will work against you. I was told 2deg. offset is the optimum. Agree? Disagree?
Old 09-19-2007, 04:18 AM

I was told 2deg. offset is the optimum. Agree? Disagree?
Optimum for what and with what? For control, maximum helical on a large feather gives the most control of a large fixed blade broadhead.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: loogout1

Just to set this saga to bed, I went and got 6 brand new ACCs with 4" 2 deg. offset vanes(like I usually shoot). Shot about a dozen with field tips(all bullets at 20 yds.) Then screwed on the 100 gr. strikers and consistently shot tight groups with the field tips. What a load off my back. Now I just have to shoot them out to 50 just to make sure. Offset or helical definitely makes the difference. I will say though, that my pro shop does not recommend too much helical saying it will work against you. I was told 2deg. offset is the optimum. Agree? Disagree?
Seems like you're getting it together. Only thing I notice is that you say you are shooting bullet holes at 20 yards. Are you talking about through paper? I'll say that shooting through peper at that distance is a waste. Your fletching should have straightened out those arrows by then unless your bow is really out of whack.

YOu have the right idea about shooting at longer distance for comparison sake. YOu just don't need paper much beyond 15'. All paper shows is how the arrow leaves the bow. Such other things as light FOC and/or too much fletching drag can cause arrows to drift at longer ranges, which paper won't show. Not sating paper tuning is a total waste, but it's just one step in a total tuning process.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:30 PM
Typical Buck

I'm sorry for not being more clear. By bullets I meant real good groups where I want them. I've never actually shot thru paper, maybe tomorrow I can have my guy at the shop set it up for me when I go to get my micro pins for my sight. Just a side note, I shot great with the field tips, then put on the strikers and also shot great. Then I figured I'd try one of my muzzys just for ****s and giggles and the damn thing shot 4" left. Looking at it, it loks like one of the blades is bent ever so slightly. Talk about touchy.

Quick Reply: helical vs. straight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.