Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 TKO rest, Turbo Nocks, and GKF Deadheads >

TKO rest, Turbo Nocks, and GKF Deadheads

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

TKO rest, Turbo Nocks, and GKF Deadheads

Old 07-21-2003, 07:59 PM
Spike

Default TKO rest, Turbo Nocks, and GKF Deadheads

Finally got outside today to try the TKO out with Turbo Nocks. Tuned very easy and only took a few shots to sight it in.

This is a group from 20yards shooting 75grain field points.

After shooting the field points a few rounds I screwed on 3 100grain GFK Deadhead broadheads. These broadheads looked great and I proved (accidently) they are SHARP on one finger. I did have to adjust my sights for the Deadheads because of the different weight from my fieldpoints. This is one group at 20 yards. Had to change targets because the Deadheads passed through my other one.

Looks to me like the combination of the TKO, Turbo Nocks, and Deadheads work Great.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: TKO rest, Turbo Nocks, and GKF Deadheads

5star, I can' t really tell by the pictures, especially the bottom, but what kind of groups are you getting? If they are not around the 2-3 inch range at 20 yards, then I wouldn' t get too cocky with the setup. Judging by the bottom picture, if this is what you are consistantly shooting at 20 yards, I would say to stay at a maximum shot of 20 yards at game.

That said, I have tried the turbo nocks, and never did get them to shoot right. for starters, in order to get anything of a decent tune on the setup, I had to set the nock way above 90 degrees. In order to compenstate for this, I had to then make a tiller adjustment that wasn' t all that friendly. Especially at 30 plus yards. Add a cut on contact broadhead to the equation, and things got even uglier. That was my experience though based on my shooting (and tuning) ability. I went back to my normal setup and never looked back, or even considered the turbo again.

Now on the broadhead, I also have been messing around with the GFK deadhead destroyer six bladed head. So far I have not tuned my bow to them specifically (which I may or may not do), but I have found my Muzzy' s to be a bit more consistant. I bought a dozen of them (deadheads) last year and have found that some of the groove spacing in the ferules are not consistant from ferule to ferule. Some of the blades converge and diverge of a single ferule and some of the blades are spaced evenly on another ferule. The evenly spaced ferules seem to fly the best of the two, but I have 10 that diverge and converge and two that are equally spaced. I tried getting an answer from the company, but they just sent me two of the diverging/converging ferules. I wonder if the decided to stop making the equally spaced ferule at some point in time and decided to go with their 100 grain helical head with all of the slots filled (6) to save money.
Old 07-22-2003, 04:29 PM

I found the Turbos to be OK on my bow if I had light carbons and a 100gr or less tip. I got them to shoot pretty good but did have to go a tad nock high to get it there, otherwise they had a very gentle corckscrew on the way down that was weird.
20 yards dead on
25 3" right
30 3" low
35 low and left.

I prefer to hunt with big arrows and big heads (525 alum and 125 Snuffer) and I tried with that arrow and a FP once and only once[X(]

I may try them again for indoor spots in Feb and " tinker time" , but for hunting, I' ll stick with my feathers.
Old 07-25-2003, 06:30 PM

5 star ,

Good shooting ,it is a little tougher to get clearence on most rests with the Turbos
but with the TKO ,I got total clearance in a snap.
I will try at longer distances this weekend with Broadheads.
How do the Deadheads fly, at long distances with turbos?

Old 07-25-2003, 10:07 PM
Spike

I was limited for time the day I shot them so didnt go longer distances. The arrow that is separate is only about 1 inch from the other two at pt of impact. I still have not fine tuned the set up, just had to try them out. I just liked my group after so little time putting all togather.
Old 07-26-2003, 07:32 AM
nub

Is that some kind of homemade replacement vitals you have there? I see you have it wired in there some how. What did you use?
Old 07-26-2003, 11:20 AM
Spike

I took the foam from another target and cut it as close to the right size to replace the vitals. There are three or four layers of foam and they taper into the deer. I then ran a piece of wire through each corner and tied each around the deer. Kind of crude and not pretty but it works. Didnt see the point in wasting the targets.
Old 08-02-2003, 02:33 PM

Looks good...

Nice Groups..

GKF Tech[:-]