Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Is this normal?

Old 07-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Is this normal?

OK guys and gals. I got my Firecat back and the shop set it up with the laser and it shot great thru paper. Shooting Easton Epic ST 400 arrows at 28" with 100 gr tips DW set at 63#. Soooooo I take it to the range and sight the pins in from 20 to 60 yds. No problem. Now for broadheads. Shot both the Slick Trick and Magnus Stingers and they hit low and left at 20 yds. I started making minute adjustments with the rest bringing it in about 1/32" at a time until the BHs were hitting directly under the FTs. A couple minor adjustments up with the rest and now have the BHs and FTs hitting the same POI at 20, 30, and 40 yds. Dynamite grouping with arrows all but touching at 20 and 30 yds and maybe 2" group at 40 average. But just for kicks I shot thru paper at 10' and got a nasty tail right tear. Its hard to believe because the arrows are grouping both the FTs and BHs very well and at the same POI. The tip of the arrow is about an arrow width in toward riser when sighting down the limb/string.
I know I should have no trouble harvesting a deer with this set up but just wondering if this is normal?
Old 07-28-2010, 07:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

One more thing I forgot to point out. Initially the BHs were about 5" left. I can raise the poundage which would require less rest adjustment. Comments please.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know how normal that is. It sounds to me like your rest is too far to the right (an arrow width inside the string).

I've never cared about paper tuning, never even tried it. I'm an archery hunter, not an archer that also hunts. All I care about is good arrow flight. If the broadheads and FPs are both flying right, and to the same POI throughout my hunting range (out to 30 yds), that's what I want. A dead deer won't critique your paper tear.

BUT, something about your rest being that far in makes me wonder if you are shooting the right arrow, if you have fletch contact, or have some form issue.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well I figured this out. I even tried different spined arrows with no luck. It was that d#@n Ripcord arrow rest. This is the second bow that I put this rest on and had tuning problems. And yes I set it up properly. I took a NAP Apache rest off my other bow and put it on the Firecat and after installation I had it shooting FTs and BH to the same POI AND shooting decent holes thru the paper all in about 20 mins.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Figured it would be something like that.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:19 AM
Fork Horn

realy it is not unuseual to see bh shoot differant than fp...i shoot with field tips all summer and have to adjust in the fall for broad heads...one of the things i found that helps is tuneing your arrow also.i now align my fleching with my bh,,and my nock with the fletching and i spin test the bh to see is thier true...it dont take long and it helps.
anouther thing is if you shoot 3 vane arrows ,,shoot 3 blade heads...i know most of you already know this but it might help some. thanks
Old 07-30-2010, 09:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Vermont - if your FTs and BHs are shooting to a different POI then your bow isn't properly tuned. To find out how, do a search for the Easton bow tuning guide.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:08 PM
Typical Buck

there may be a little miss alinment in the bh and the vane,but then again it would have to be the same on all the arrows other than that idk
Old 08-02-2010, 05:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Stormdog - That myth has been debunked long ago. From my bows, which are properly tuned, using my 3 fletch arrows, I can shoot any 100 gr broadhead, 2 blade, 3 blade, 4 blade in any alignment and they all will hit the same POI.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Spike

Talking If it floats your boat......

Bronko - We need every mental advantage we can get as it is all about confidence. If we want to align our blades with our vanes, spin every arrow, sprinkle with foo-foo dust, then let 'er rip! I doubt it has an tremendous effect, but I do the same as Vermont.

I shoot the ST Epic 400 at 70# on an Switchback with Innerloc 3-blade 100 grains (278fps). Every fixed blade BH I have tried shoots different POI than field points, but consistently so. About a month before hunt time, I switch to BH and adjust my sights back with groupings as good as my field tips. I am not concerned about the same POI if I am shooting consistent groups with good arrow flight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.