Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow questions

Old 03-24-2010, 06:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default Arrow questions

Back into shooting a compound bow after not touching one in 15 yrs, and never hunted with one just back yard shooting. So I am learning a lot and I am sure I will be asking lots of questions.

I am shooting a Redhead Kronik set at 65# 26.5" draw and arrows cut to 26" Just getting back into shooting I went with some cheaper arrows to practice with and not worry too much if a few got destroyed in the process. The arrows are Red Head Carbon Fury, 4560 with 100gr tips. According to their scale chart this arrow is fine for my poundage and arrow length.

Talking with a coworker who is big into bow hunting he mentioned that they are probably under spined. I don't have a problem with them shooting and group nicely out to 40 yards. Won't be shooting anything past that for where I hunt.

I do plan on getting some Gold Tips XT Hunter arrows 5575 for actual hunting. Again the scale chart for them show they are ok for my poundage and arrow legnth.

So going on my current set up and what arrows I plan to use is everything good or should I be changing a few things?

I really appreciate the help.

Dave
Old 03-24-2010, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

arrows appear to be borderline underspined.
get the gold tips and you will be golden! grouping FP's are not the test, grouping fixed blade BH is.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

KK-
Welcome back!

The GT charts usually come out on the weak side. It can be very frustrating if you do not know this upfront.

I would recommend ordering the 7595 spine when you upgrade. The weight difference is very minimal (8.9 vs 8.9 grains per inch, I believe) and its better to be a little on the stiff side...

Like you, I shot the 5575s for several years with good accuracy. However, broadhead tuning became much easier when I changed to the 7595s.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:50 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the help guys. Will look into getting some stiffer spined arrows here soon and try them out.

Plan on using some 100 gr slick tricks for broad heads. Used them when I had my crossbow for a couple of yrs and really liked them.

Thanks again.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the other guys have missed something. Both the arrows you mention have a spine of .400" or close to it. The fact that your draw length is 26.5" and the arrows are 26" makes either arrow almost ideal.

If you were shooting either at 28" or more I might agree with the other guys. However, at the shorter length they should work absolutely fine.

And for what it's worth, I shoot 26.5" draw and 26" arrows with lighter points (80 gr) and can shoot a 500 spine up to about 63#. They bare shaft tune and paper tune to perfection.

I do know that people say to err on the stiff side with arrow spine, but I disagree with this, too. The whole routine of tuning a bow/arrow combination is to get the two matched. That means playing with point weight, arrow length, fletching styles, etc. It also means being mentally flexible about the bow, meaning willing to adjust the draw weight. If you do this and tune properly there is no such thing as "err on the stiff side". The combination would be as perfectly matched as you are capable of.