Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
bowtech speed loss >

bowtech speed loss

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

bowtech speed loss

Old 02-06-2010, 07:04 AM
Spike

Default bowtech speed loss

just bought my destroyer 340 last week, paper tuned and it clocked @301fps. birth cert. says 29", 72.3# 335fps. my setup is 30", 70#, 395gr arrow, 6gr peep +loop. figured i lost 21fps with my setup, should have been approx. 314fps,.looks like i'm missing 13fps or so. noticed the loop sits 1 1/4" high from center string. wondering how much speed loss i could expect from the loop being high. By the way, was going to pick up my 2010 admiral, saw the destroyer and was surprised at how smooth the draw was, quiet and hardly any vibration.I ended up getting the destroyer! appriciate any advise fellas.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Tune, Cam sync, Cam orientation, arrow spine, tune, all effect the final speed.

In my experience when I get a BowTech setup and tuned I have been slightly better than the BC all things considered, and at the very least as good. I go over everything, or take it to someone that is experienced in tuning Binary Cam bows and see what they say.

Sounds like your tune could definitely be a factor. You can Not push an arrow sideways as fast as you can pushing that same weight arrow straight down the middle.

Most Destroyers I have had my hands on or I am aware of have been slightly better than the advertised IBO.

Dan
Old 02-06-2010, 08:24 AM
Spike

appriciate the help meanv2. only have 1 local bowtech dealer and the the one i purchased my bow from is about an 1 1/2 hour from my home. you know anyone in the va,nc, wva area that you would recommend?
Old 02-06-2010, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by leexd45
appriciate the help meanv2. only have 1 local bowtech dealer and the the one i purchased my bow from is about an 1 1/2 hour from my home. you know anyone in the va,nc, wva area that you would recommend?
Not offhand. Hopefully someone in your area will speak up. I wish I were closer.

Dan
Old 02-06-2010, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need More Info

A few thoughts:

I don't know what weight arrow Bowtech uses for those birth certificates. You might be shooting a heavier arrow.

Is it possible to verify the accuracy of your chrono? Improper lighting can cause innaccurate readings.

Originally Posted by leexd45
the loop sits 1 1/4" high from center string
Could you explain this a bit more? Maybe take a picture with an arrow on the string. You arrow should be perpendicular to the string for a binary cam bow.

I highly recommend Tom Wilcox of Wilcox Bait and Tackle in Newport News, VA - if this is within reasonable driving distance. He is a Bowtech dealer and an excellent tech. Call ahead - cause it is always busy.

Autumn Sky Outfitters in Port Deposit, MD is reportedly good also. I have only been there once but the service was excellent.

B&B Archery in Manassas, VA is good too.

I cannot see your location in your profile.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:44 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by kwilson16
A few thoughts:

I don't know what weight arrow Bowtech uses for those birth certificates. You might be shooting a heavier arrow.

Is it possible to verify the accuracy of your chrono? Improper lighting can cause innaccurate readings.

Could you explain this a bit more? Maybe take a picture with an arrow on the string. You arrow should be perpendicular to the string for a binary cam bow.

I highly recommend Tom Wilcox of Wilcox Bait and Tackle in Newport News, VA - if this is within reasonable driving distance. He is a Bowtech dealer and an excellent tech. Call ahead - cause it is always busy.

Autumn Sky Outfitters in Port Deposit, MD is reportedly good also. I have only been there once but the service was excellent.

B&B Archery in Manassas, VA is good too.

I cannot see your location in your profile.
bowtech cert. says 350gr. arrow. mine is 395. located in roanoke however have friends in va beach. might need to take a road trip soon. crono located in gander mt. indoor range.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MeanV2

In my experience when I get a BowTech setup and tuned I have been slightly better than the BC all things considered, and at the very least as good. I go over everything, or take it to someone that is experienced in tuning Binary Cam bows and see what they say.

Sounds like your tune could definitely be a factor. You can Not push an arrow sideways as fast as you can pushing that same weight arrow straight down the middle.

Most Destroyers I have had my hands on or I am aware of have been slightly better than the advertised IBO.

Dan
I'm in agreeance with Dan- You def need to make sure EVERYTHING is setup properly- the 340/350 I shot were right inline with BC speeds, as have been the last 4 BowTechs I've owned (one 08 and three 09s), along with Hoyt they are the only company in the past year that have made or exceeded speeds for all the bows I owned.

I have not played with the Destroyers enough to see how sensitive the cams are to synch and rotation. I know my Elite GT500 was EXTREMELY sensitive to proper synch- one twist out cost me 7 FPS on that bow. And not being in proper rotation could do anywhere from 8-14 FPS speed loss.

How far are you from Danville? I can reccomend someone in that area who is a hellatiously good tech, though he is not a Bowtech dealer.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:04 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by MeanV2

Dan
you were right on the money concerning advertised speed meanv. took the destroyer to another shop clocked 321fps with no changes. half twist in bottom cable and it was good to go. must of been something wrong with gander's chrono. appreciate the help.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why not box it up and UPS it to Dan. Driving for hours cost $$ and time, you may not get a guy as knowledgable.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by LKNCHOPPERS
Why not box it up and UPS it to Dan. Driving for hours cost $$ and time, you may not get a guy as knowledgable.
LNK, Thanks!! and truth is there are a lot of guys that need help, and many more that just don't want to mess with tuning, etc. Same as Race car drivers have mechanics. So............................................

On my new website we are going to offer several custom services, including, custom finishes, string changes, tuning, etc., etc.

Hopefully these services will feel a void for a lot of guys.

Dan