Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Broadhead Question >

Broadhead Question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead Question

Old 12-17-2009, 07:08 PM
voz
Fork Horn

I've shot the Reapers at targets, no deer yet but I hope to get the chance. I have shot deer with the Rage 2 blades and they are fantastic. I can not comprehend the broadhead failing to open. If someone says they've had this happen so be it but I've shot them tons of times and never had it happen. They do have issues opening up in the quiver and since I dont want them to open until they hit something, I use orthodonic rubber bands to keep them closed. I've never had a problem with them failing to open or opening prematurely. Great head but pricey. I believe you should take this post and others lightly. Do your own research and then you'll see with your own eyes what's better for you and your set up. My 2 cents.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've killed 9 deer with Grim Reapers, every time the blades were closed when I found the arrow. They produce massive blood trails and worked very well IMO, but I'm tired of spending $11 on 1 BH. I don't shoot them any longer.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had nothing but success with the 100gr Grim Reaper Razortips. I use them for deer, bear, turkey, and hog. The vast majority of them that I recover have the blades closed, but they have all went thru the animal open as evidenced by the wounds.
I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Reapers are my current broadhead of choice as well. Excellent broadhead.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

I shot grim reapers for a couple of years and never had a problem with them. Shot mostly hogs which are a thicker skinned than deer.Ihad the same thought about not openning so called them they told me to shoot at paper and look at the holes if opening or not Never had one not open. The only reason I changed to the fixed Hellrazor is because the place I hunt in Indiana doesn't want you shooting mech.heads his place so I shoot fixed. Loved the Grim Reapers though
Old 02-21-2010, 01:34 AM
Spike

i love the reaper
Old 02-21-2010, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rage, Spitfires, Grim Reapers are some of the best expandables currently on the market.

IMHO an expandable does not have the toughness or the dependability of a top notch fixed blade broadhead. THe advantage in better flight a mechanical broadhead used to have is pretty much nonexistent with the quality construction of modern day fixed blade heads. Many claim that mechanicals do more damage, but have you ever seen the damage done by a 1 1/4" 4 blade head?

Most of the time the mechanicals work flawless, but the fact remains that human error out of the equation fixed blades are tougher and more dependable.

That's what I want.

Dan
Old 02-21-2010, 07:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cartman308
When a Grim Reaper pass through they snap closed when the arrow loosed inertia! It may not have been intintionally designed to do this but it is a part of it's design......

video proof

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZOnwNS_cPw

About a 1:20 into video.

Also this:

http://huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunti...-9-19-doe.html

Distance of over 45 yards. Quatering to me. Complete passthrough. Entrance and exit holes has the "Y" from the blades deploying. When arrow was found the blades were CLOSED.

The Grim Reapers are the only broadheads that I have read enough positive and vitrually no negatives about. I tried them this season after always saying I would NEVER use a mechanical. I LOVE these heads.
I think that a lot of B.S.. I used Grim Reapers for years, and I never saw one ever snap back, regards if it was a deer, a hog or a rabbit!