Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Broadhead Question >

Broadhead Question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead Question

Old 12-14-2009, 12:46 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
yup! never saw a post anywhere about a rage broadhead not penetrating or losing a deer.

I've heard that rage are terrible unless perfecty placed , and I've heard they dont open right...
Old 12-14-2009, 01:20 PM
Banned

I bought some grim reapers to play around with just a few weeks ago. I have been using fixed blade heads with good results, just thought I might try something different.

With the grim reapers, the blades will open and very often will close after going through something and doesnt make a bit of difference. They are also better on angling shots than many other mechanicals within reason. the tip is further forward as compared to th blades when folded. That prevents the blades form "leveraging" the arrow to the side on impact due to the tip actually penetrating a little before the blades are activated. Have heard good reviews and saw some interesting film clips of shooting plywood set on an angle, steel drums etc. on the grim reaper website.

As for the angled shots, Ive seen even fixed blades glance right down along the outside of the rib cage on hard angling shots. Even did it a couple years ago myself, after shooting a buck, hitting it a bit back, took another shot at it as it slowed to a walk, a hard angling shot away. Arrow skipped down the length of the ribcage went just under the shoulderblade and exited in front on the same side. Found the deer which died from the first shot, but the second sure wouldnt have done the job. Shouldnt take extreme angle shots with any broadhead unless attempting to stop one already hit.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

rage lack penetration if the shot isnt perfect
Old 12-14-2009, 02:39 PM
Spike

I am glad that someone asked the question about the reapers as I have been thinking about shooting them myself. For several years now I have been shooting the Crimson talons. Remarkable broadhead within ranges of 35 yards or so but a bit shaky outside. Looking for something a little more accurate at greater distances for a 2010 Elk hunt.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:43 PM
Spike

X100 on the rage heads not penetrating, i have not used the 3 blade, i have used the 2 blade and can tell you that those are junk. My buddy wanted to buy the rages i had left over but i did the ethical thing and threw them in the trash.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot my Buck with the Reaper Broadhead it did the job got my deer which bled out in less than 70 yards no lungs hit but I think the liver or a vital artery was hit because the blood trail was clear all the way to were he laid down. When I found my arrow the blades seemed to not have opened but the exit wound looked like they did open,hard to read for a rookie hunter. Thanks for all your input on my question. Good Hunting!
Old 12-15-2009, 05:07 AM
Typical Buck

I've been reading these type of posts for some time. I also have seen mechanicals getting a pretty good beating about reliability and penetration. Looking at some of the designs for the consumer, It's easy to understand why. But one mechanical that I'll always have in my quiver, Rocket Sidewinder. I started using this head the second year it was offered to the consumer. After the first two seasons I used this broadhead I was blown away by the blood trails. I got my best buddy to switch to them. His son and another buddy of ours. We have taken a combined total of 59 deer with these broadheads. Not one failure to open. Big entry and exit holes no matter what angle.
The very first deer I ever shot with this head was 23 to 25 yds. angling towards me. My bow set up then was 65lbs. shooting a 540 grain arrow. I shot the buck,it went less than 40 yds. The arrow entered just behind his shoulder and came out near his junk and broke the back leg. Now with more efficient bows and carbon arrows,we have switched to the Rocket Hammer Head with a two inch cut. The buck I shot this year was spraying blood 6 feet wide. The only thing we found bad about these heads over the years. Is the tiny little screw that holds the blades. We have had very few break off,but! After a pass threw and the head drives into the ground. The threads for those tiny screws get screwed up and you can't replace the blade. In other words,the head becomes a one shot deal most of the time. But the performance and easy blood trails I get from these heads. I'll live with that!
Old 12-15-2009, 11:18 AM
Banned

Yeah bp, I could see where durability might be an issue with many mechanicals, If I bust one on its way through a bucks chest and into the ground, I dont mind much.

One other thing i dont care for is having to screw with the rubber bands to hold the blades shut as is the case with some of them, and with my poundage, was told Id need two!. Dont have them on the reapers.

Thought Id try the mechanicals. Little bigger cut than the thunderheads Ive been using. Shooting 80+ lbs on my bowtech & arrows on the lighter side, its near impossible to get anything over an inch and an eighth to fly in the fixed blade heads.

Havent had problems as of late with the fixed blade narrow heads, but just thinking ahead towards the potential of having unavoidable less than perfect hits.

Last edited by Cornelius08; 12-15-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:26 AM
Banned

"Rocket Hammer Head with a two inch cut. The buck I shot this year was spraying blood 6 feet wide. "

lol. I can imagine. I stayed a bit on the conservative side with the reapers in the 1 3/8" cuts.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had two great results with Rage 2 Blades and quartering away shots this year. They were not slightly quartering away either.

The first photo below shows the 4" entrance wound on a 222 lb 8 point I shot this year at 20 yards. The Rage tipped arrow hit at the back of the ribcage slicing through ribs going in and then the arrow exited just at the front of the front shoulder on the opposite side of the deer with a complete passthru. No penetration problems at all.

The second picture shows another 8 point buck I shot this year, he was 25 yards away quartering away as well. The entrance wound measured 2.5". The arrow exited just behind the front shoulder on the opposite side and was stuck in the ground. No penetration problems at all on that one either.
Attached Thumbnails Broadhead Question-2bladeragecut.jpg   Broadhead Question-2bladeragecut170.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.