Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Rage 3 Blade

Old 12-12-2009, 06:30 PM
Spike

Default Rage 3 Blade

I know alot of debate goes on about mechanical or fixed blade. That's not what this is about. It was my preferance to try these and it has paid off well for the past two years. I had an expirience though that I would like to share that happened two days ago. I am currently on a mission to fill my doe permits and my freezer. I had three does and a button buck show up on Thursday morning in a blistering cold 24 degrees. So I picked the oldest and biggest out of the bunch and sent a rage tipped meat missle on a picture perfect slightly quartering away shot. The doe ran gushing about 40 yds and rolled about 30 ft down a seasonal creek bank that luckily happened to be dry and that is where she expired. Now for the reason that we are discussing this.... when I got to her i found a VERY impressive entry wound. But when my wife, little boy and myself inspected the exit ( I like to invilve everyone my little girl was at preschool) there was about a six to seven inch hole. A HOLE that big? I couldn't believe it she looked like she had been shot by a Barrett .50 cal BMG. I have not expirienced this with these heads before. This could be that I possibly shot her with a head that had already been through one doe but I cannot confirm. One blade was bent upon arrow retrieval. Could this have caused this if the blades had been through one deer already or that the blade bent pretty good after hitting a rib? Just to be sure I replaced bent blade and all others with new ones. What is ya'lls opninion on what caused such a dramatic exit? They performed flawlessly and put her down within 40 yds. so I think they are well worth the money and a very good and accurate head.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

im glad you like the 3 blade version.. i personally will never use them again.. used them last year and this year with poor results.. not blood trailing or wounds.. but penetration.. i have good reasoning behind my thoguhts not just blowin smoke without experience.. last year shot a big 8.. no pass through.. perfect broadside shot at 11 steps. from a ground blind. no blood.. but i had a clump of heart clogging the hole.. not upset there.. broadhead did its job.. this year another 8 point. 30 yards. broadside.. 6 inches of penetration.. and folks i shoot a trykon xl at 74 lbs shooting a 410 grain arrow.. i could blow through an elk with that setup. there is no reason i should no get passthrough.. brother had similiar results and we are twins so set up is the same.. as for your hole size.. not unheard up.. my roommate shot a doe with the 2 blade and it looked like he shot it with a samurai sword.. exit hole was 14 inches long. most likely the skin was stretched on the animal due to its body posture .. thats what i was told by the head guy at my archery shop
Old 12-13-2009, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

WOW, that is an awesome wound!!!

I figured someone would add a Rage bitch to this thread! I swear anywhere you see a Rage thread... there will be someone whining and crying about 'em! LOL!
Old 12-13-2009, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

im not whinning about them.. just found it strange that i get complete passthrough on animals using even walmart brand. but not with rage.. the wounds they inflict are insane but without a passthrough i will not use a broadhead that can not passthrough on a perfect broadsided shot.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:41 PM
Spike

You can see my setup on my signature. My Vipertec is drawing about 68 lbs. nwtrykon87 I appreciate your input but I am puzzled about why no complete pass through with your set up. I am getting complete pass through on feral hogs up to 350-400 lbs with mine. I guess it's one of those things that what works for one doesn't work for others.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:25 PM
Fork Horn

you got me.. i shot 1 buck close and 1 at 30 yards neither 1 went in more than 8 inches i dunno if it was just my particular back, but i contacted rage.. they had me send back my 2 used broadheads (i keep all arrows and broadheads as memory tokens) and any of my un-used 1s and sent me my money back.. so great customer service. im gonna use hell razors or slick tricks instead i think
Old 12-14-2009, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had exceptional results with rage 2 Blade Heads this Year and I shoot 68lbs with a 410 grain arrow. Both Deer I shot this year were quartering away pretty hard, and both were pass thrus. The holes were big 3"-4" I guess due to the quartering angle. Good Blood Trails as well.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:41 PM
Fork Horn

lkn.. i have heard similar results with the 2 blade.. if i dont convince myself to use standards i will have to try them.. the 3 blade were junk IMO
Old 12-15-2009, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would never shoot mechanicals before but with this design they have to open when they hit. I am amazed at the penetration as well. They may not be for everyone but they seem to be working very well for me.