Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
What helical with whisker biscuit? >

What helical with whisker biscuit?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What helical with whisker biscuit?

Old 08-21-2009, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What helical with whisker biscuit?

Ok guys just a quick question, With a Whisker Biscuit and 2' Blazer Vanes I can only have straight no helical correct? Someone I spoke with at (cough) Cabela's said "The only choice I have is straight offset to like 1 degree and feathers won't last through a biscuit after a few shots stay with blazers." More interested in what kind of jig I need. Straight or helical.

I am fine with that but it's Cabela's so who knows how much they know, I wanted to see what some of your thoughts were. Shooting set up in my sig. Thanks!

Last edited by Tribal; 08-21-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:10 PM
Spike

Well first off, there is no such thing as "straight helical". It's either straight, offset, or helical. And eventhough I don't use a WB right now, I have used one for many seasons. Sent many arrows through it. I had best luck with 4 inch vanes with a right helical. I've also shot feathers, and never had a problem. I just don't like the noise they make in flight, so I switched to vanes. I tried Blazers, but I couldn't get the damn things to stay on the shaft for me to save my life LOL. Probably my fault for not prepping the shaft before glueing them on, though.

Now I shoot a drop-away and Blazers with a slight right helica. My arrows fly great. I still have my WB in my toolbox, though, as a back-up rest.

So, you can go with vanes, Blazers, or feathers, the choice is yours. I'm not sure what fletching configuration (straight, helical, or offset) will work best. Just make SURE you properly prep the shaft before glueing anything on. Good Luck and enjoy!!! The WB is the best do-it-all rest on the market, IMHO.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:46 PM
Fork Horn

I don't know about the Blazers but we shoot the Duravanes Predators through a Biscuit with a right helical with no ploblems. Although I did have to reduce the helical some from what I was shooting on 4" vanes as i had it adjusted as far as possible and still get good contact with shaft. I just prep the shafts good and put a dab of glue at the ends of the vanes.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

On a 2" fletch, the helical isn't really a true helical since they are just starting to twist. They work fine for me through a WB, and I prefer them actually over offset.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dosnt matter with a WB or Drop away.......Were it makes the biggist differance is shooting a bow off the shelf or a longbow(dont want the feather digging into your hand between your thumb and pointer finger)........
Old 08-25-2009, 10:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Makes no differnece....
Old 08-25-2009, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Tribal
Ok guys just a quick question, With a Whisker Biscuit and 2' Blazer Vanes I can only have straight no helical correct? Someone I spoke with at (cough) Cabela's said "The only choice I have is straight offset to like 1 degree and feathers won't last through a biscuit after a few shots stay with blazers." More interested in what kind of jig I need. Straight or helical.

I am fine with that but it's Cabela's so who knows how much they know, I wanted to see what some of your thoughts were. Shooting set up in my sig. Thanks!
Tribal i have a bitz fletcher and i have a helical and a straight jig depending on which rest i am using?
I also am using a W/B this season and with that rest go with the straight jig set to 1 or 2 degree off set. and let it fly.
P/M me if you need help.