Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Arrow Flight different with broadheads vs. field points >

Arrow Flight different with broadheads vs. field points

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow Flight different with broadheads vs. field points

Old 05-14-2003, 05:04 PM

Default RE: Arrow Flight different with broadheads vs. field points

It appears to me that I' m having a communication problem. With that in mind, I decided to reiterate some of my past statements.

And please keep in mind that I' m not promoting anything absolute but rather an attempt to get things as close as possible. This depends on the capabilities and tools available to the archer. If the archer wants to accept using a different sight setting, that' s their call.
Look at it this way. We' re not all capable of the same tuning qualities. We' re also hunting under different conditions. If we lower our standards for the game we' re trying to take by acceptance of limited tuning which affects BH accuracy and KE, we' re not being fair to the game we seek.

Can FTs and BHs be made to hit in the same general location? Yes, and we do it all the time. The difference that seems to be disputed here is what tolerance should be allowed. Having two COMPLETELY different patterns is not acceptable, IMPO.
It was PW12 who brought up the term " middle-of-the-road" , not me. After I re-read his post, I realized that he really was not accepting this approach because, as it appears to me, he seems not to accept the same tolerance levels that I do; and, as you can see in my response to him, I was mistaken.

PW hit the nail on the head with his " middle of the road" term. With this in mind, the average hunter can achieve a relatively same POI with his FTs and BHs at conservative hunting distances. Suggesting that he should consider less by arbitrarily moving sights/pins, and again that' s based on tolerances, is really not in my teaching philosophy. Mainah77 wanted " to shoot the same with both tips." I think that' s possible given his situation and with him now understanding what tolerances he should expect.
As you can see, I never tried to look at this subject as having an absolute answer. Because of my customer base, I' ve always looked at issues like this with an average hunter' s perspective. By setting achievable goals and/or plateaus for people, you don' t loose them by getting them frustrated with the sport. My attempt has always been to get my customers to the highest level of excellance that they can achieve. The bar will continuously be raised; but, at a level where they feel most comfortable but motivated.

I don' t want to see hunters tuning FTs and BHs something like a foot apart and then changing sights to compensate. I also don' t think everyone can achieve them hitting in the same hole - but some can.

Old 05-14-2003, 10:46 PM

Default RE: Arrow Flight different with broadheads vs. field points

Well said.