Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bow sight yardage recommendations?? >

Bow sight yardage recommendations??

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow sight yardage recommendations??

Old 07-02-2009, 11:33 AM
Spike

Default Bow sight yardage recommendations??

Hey guys, Was wondering if anyone had a similar set up to my current bow and what yardage gives you the flattest shooting sight window for minimal pins. I don't like alot of obstruction in sight ring. I currently have first pin Zero at 10/25yd(due to arrow flight trajectory it just worked out that way wasn't trying) which puts me 2.5in high at 15, 3in high at 20, and 3in low at 30 so a 6 inch difference with one pin. Second pin kicks in at 35 yards. Is this about as good as it will get??Was toying with setting first pin Zero at 20. So as to cut down on the amount of upward creep of arrow for when shooting down from an elevated platform, this additionally has the tendency to cause arrow to hit high anyway. Most of my hunting is in thick Miss. woods but have a trip booked to be in Kansas 2 week of Nov. and wanted to be able to reach out if neccessary with out having to re-dial for longer yardages. Just wanted some FYIs. May just not stress over it and leave perfect alone. Thanks.

Mathews DTS 70#
28/29in draw
maxima hunter arrow weight 382gr
flight 283 ft/sec
Old 07-05-2009, 03:49 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bow sight yardage recommendations??

HuntDoc, as I tell a lot of my clients when helping them use what works for you. If you pratice with this set up regular it will come 2nd hand to you. I know a couple of people that have did about the same thing with there pins one added small white out marks on his sight to help him a little better. MY sight is set up one pin zeroed at 20 yards, one at 30 yards, one at 40 yards, one at 50 yards and one at 60 yards. The 50 and 60 yard pin are pratice pins so that when I shot 40 yards and less it is easier. with my pin set up into between pins is 25, 35,45, and 55 yards however 40 in my max on game around here in Kentucky and after the ice strom that will be a dream to shot that far in the woods. The main thing is pratice, pratice, pratice. Once my clients are sighted in and shooting groups I start having them shoot differnt ways they will shoot from a tree stand, seated in a blind, kneeing and so forth. This way they know what they can do effectivly and what they can't do. My 10 year old son is starting to work on shooting while his breathing is heavey. I have him run and hard as he can from differnt distance pick up his bow and shot. Good Hunting.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bow sight yardage recommendations??

i use 3 pins....1 for 20 yards, 1 for 30 yards and 1 for 40 yards. where i archery hunt, 40 yards is the max sight distance i have. if i shoot at anything less than 20 yards, i just aim a hair low.