Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Off the string or loop >

Off the string or loop

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Off the string or loop

Old 05-07-2003, 06:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Off the string or loop

Len,Kevin,
From the description of Jeff' s conversations with Dave Cousins I think its safe to say that it was meant " in fun" apparently Dave is a shooter who is shall we say " A Cookie Cruncher" and I doubt he meant anything offensive by it. He had Jeff laughing the entire time. So Kevin I think your instincts are probably right on that front.
In any event I find it hard to dismiss this little bit of insight.........if we strive for the utmost in accuracy that our set-ups can give us ,our margin for error decreases. I think any animal we shoot at deserves our best attempt at " Vegas Spot Accuracy" (no offense intended by that comment Len)
If it helps tuning issues , broadhead / arrow flight , nock travel or whathaveyou even a little bit, IMO its worth the extra couple of minutes to set it up.

Old 05-07-2003, 06:40 AM

I' m another who uses tied-in nock sets, above and below the nock. My loop is a " catfish" loop that is tied above and below the nock sets. The " catfish" loop is not practical for a pro shop to tie, because of the time involved tying one, but I love the adjustability and how easy it is to make one the exact length and thickness you want. The catfish loop isn' t as good at controlling a peep because it' s not as easy to tie one tight enough to control the string, but I don' t use a peep, so it' s not a concern for me. On the other hand, since it' s not as tight on the string, it moves easily up or down the string when moving a nock set.

Great thread everyone!
Old 05-07-2003, 07:48 AM

Matt, thanks for posting that idea and pic. I' ve never seen it done like that. I was planning on trying the loop under setup like Frank also, but then you are introducing arrow pinch again. It looks like your setup is the best of both worlds. What I don' t understand is why it pulls at an incline, and you' re right... it does. Not completely above the arrow on mine, but still high. At first I thought it was because I didn' t have enough weight on the front so I put on my 32" stab. It didn' t make any difference. I' m going to give your loop a try.

Now, can anyone explain why it is pulling upwards when it seems like it should be pulling even?
Old 05-07-2003, 08:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am probably wrong but could it be because the nocking point really is not in the true center of the bowstring?

Dacotah,

There still is not any string pinch as I use a slight gap between the bottom of the arrow nock and the top of knot of string loop.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:16 AM
Typical Buck

Matt-

Yes, I firmly understand the point you are trying to make, but you must ask yourself also if miniscule things like this are actually worth the extra effort in " real-life" .... I am one that goes to great lengths to make sure my setup is " dead-nuts" -- you all have been witness to many of my long-winded techniques and ramblings! However, being a tech I also know (for the most part) the point to where things will make a distinct and visible difference, and when they won' t. Of course we all strive for perfection, and checking the details is definately a great thing, but much like how we sometimes get " all caught up" with the newest " fads" that may or may not turn out be all that we wished them to be, sometimes we are basically doing things for nothing more than keeping " the gears turning" and ourselves occupied. I firmly believe this to be one of those instances with the elongated under nokset.

One good thing is that it will never hurt you I don' t believe, but I also don' t feel it will be of significant benefit, either. JMHO. Whatever floats your boat, and whatever you feel is of extra benefit to you and your shooting is all that matters. As long as you are having fun, that' s all that matters! Good shooting, Pinwheel 12
Old 05-21-2003, 01:24 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]