Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Off the string or loop >

Off the string or loop

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Off the string or loop

Old 05-03-2003, 09:26 AM

Default RE: Off the string or loop

This past hunting season I swithed to a string loop and really like it. Increased accuracy and consistancy. Nothing but positives to say about a loop.
Old 05-03-2003, 11:43 AM

PA,

Thats very interesting, I have seen the loop below before. I was under the impression that this system would increase downward nock travel on Single cams. In the same manner attaching to the string below the nock does.

I don' t dispute the fact that it is working well for you. Or that it may even be a better way to do it.

But technically speaking.......can you elaborate on how it may be better than the standard loop?
Old 05-04-2003, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also found that I didnt lose any draw length because I have always shot with a very bent elbow on my bow arm . I can still anchor in the same place by just straigtning the bow arm some. Just another benifit of shooting a bent elbow for me.
Old 05-04-2003, 08:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Fletchhead,

No, I am using a regular GKF Golden Premier with low loop setup.

Rack attack,

Here is a copy/paste of the explanation that was given to me....

The low loop although not being directly behind the arrow like a offset loop, helps to curb nock travel (or more precisely, helps to curb the effects of it) as it allows for a bit less pressure (more leeway so to so speak) as the arrow is released. i.e. as the arrow is released the arrow is forced down, then below level and then back up to level (or even back above on really poor designs). When using a regular loop it' s going to create more conflict as the arrow wants to go down and the release aid is pulling " up" . Having the contact point lower helps to offset the pressure. Besides the nock travel benefit and less string wear it (as well as all loops) almost entirely eliminates torque and reduces string oscillation. Hooking directly to the bowstring is not nearly as good in that regard.Your anchor must be perfect..too light or too much pressure on the anchor against your face is not nearly as critical, nor is any slight twisting of the release aid or release aid hand, and again, no direct pressure against the arrow nock."
Old 05-04-2003, 02:36 PM
Typical Buck

I' ve used the loop for years now, with excellent results, and I too won' t shoot without them now. I shoot mine with a tied-in nockset above and below the arrow nock, then attach the loop over and below them. This way if you ever pull through a loop you can carry a few extras in your quiver and have it back up and running in less than a minute if you know how to tie them without affecting tuning at all. This can really save your bacon if in the middle of a fly-in hunt or out in the middle of a tournament.

I have played with them below, and one over and one below with no nockset, and one nokset above, etc, and find that with the two tied-in noksets you eliminate any " cinching" of the arrow that can cause erratic flight, and pulling from the direct centerline of the arrow makes tuning easier on most setups, and I cannot really agree with the quoted statement above to be honest as each setup is different as far as nock travel is concerned. Whatever floats your boat on this, but if you run two under with no nokset you can have varying degrees of pressure against the bottom of the arrow when switching loops,(not to mention you are always pulling " up" , creating more pressure) and this can cause differentials. If running the " two under" I always recommend a nockset above them also. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12
Old 05-04-2003, 06:46 PM

I' m with PW12 on this one. Having seen and documented the varying forms of nock travel over the years, and I mean VARYING, I can' t see how putting the loop under the arrow could really be advantageous. I' ve really only seen this procedure done by some tournament archers and those who emulate them. There are probably many others, but I haven' t seen them.

While putting two tied-in nocks above and below the arrow is good, we do it differently. We make sure we have extra large ' beads' at each end of the loop. When tightening the loop we use about 100+ pounds of pressure while controlling the width of the loop to fit the arrow' s nock. With this method, we keep the loop exceptionally tight so that it will not move or break loose. The only problem you may have with any loop is the serving moving and opening up the loop; but, this can happen with other forms of arrow captivation as well.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

We make sure we have extra large ' beads' at each end of the loop. When tightening the loop we use about 100+ pounds of pressure while controlling the width of the loop to fit the arrow' s nock.
This is pretty much the same method that is used down at the local shop as well. The setup I mentioned above is something I have been experimenting with over the last month or so with relatively favorable results.

I' ve really only seen this procedure done by some tournament archers and those who emulate them.
....and that is exactly where this quote came from.

I shoot mine with a tied-in nockset above and below the arrow nock, then attach the loop over and below them. This way if you ever pull through a loop you can carry a few extras in your quiver and have it back up and running in less than a minute if you know how to tie them without affecting tuning at all.
Now that is a good idea. I try to keep my hunting setups as simple and as rugged as possible. Being able to replace or repair items in the field is essential to the way I view my setup. Thank you for the tip.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:50 AM

Petersons Bowhuntingran an article about different nocking systems and their benefits or lack thereoff in the October issue of last year. It pretty well stated the obvious but backs up what Len and Pin are talking about and also what Pa,s talking about , and why sometimes a slight down pressure is needed or adventageous.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:04 PM
Typical Buck

Frank-

You are certainly welcome! Good shooting, Pinwheel 12
Old 05-06-2003, 05:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

I forgot to mention something else beneficial that I found about the " low loop" . Since the loop itself is not directly behind the arrow then it does not have to be as long to compensate for the room that the nock takes up on the string in front of it. This then helps in that you do not have to adjust your anchor points, or draw length in some cases, to the extent that you would with a " normal" loop.

Quick Reply: Off the string or loop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.