Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bow String.. life Expectancy???? >

Bow String.. life Expectancy????

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow String.. life Expectancy????

Old 04-17-2009, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bow String.. life Expectancy????

ORIGINAL: fatsbucknut

Couldnt tell ya. I've had mine for 5 yrs. I'll probably get a new string this year
That would be a really good idea. Because generally when they go, it's not a gradual thing you happen to notice one day- "ooo..I better change this"

Instead it's a "HOLY CRAP" and they completely give way when you don't expect it, and then you have a bow in pieces/damaged/destroyed and possibly yourself too.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:41 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

I change my hunting bows every 5,000, but I get 15,000 out of my target bow.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would advise at least every 2 years unless extensive wear signs appear.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: JeffB

Couldnt tell ya. I've had mine for 5 yrs. I'll probably get a new string this year
That would be a really good idea. Because generally when they go, it's not a gradual thing you happen to notice one day- "ooo..I better change this"

Instead it's a "HOLY CRAP" and they completely give way when you don't expect it, and then you have a bow in pieces/damaged/destroyed and possibly yourself too.
I've seen a string/cable break while the bow was hanging on the rack. Not a pretty sight or sound. I wouldn't take the chance on it happening while I was at full draw.

The cost of New Strings and cables is small compared to what if.

Dan
Old 04-21-2009, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

ORIGINAL: JeffB

I've seen a string/cable break while the bow was hanging on the rack. Not a pretty sight or sound. I wouldn't take the chance on it happening while I was at full draw.

The cost of New Strings and cables is small compared to what if.

Dan
A guy at our shop picked up a bow off of the rack (his own) and the string broke b/c something on the rack (we assume) nicked the string enough that bumping it one last time made it break. He got hit by the string right in the top of the head and had a gash.

I dont hang my bows with the string touching anymore after that incident happened.

Derek
Old 04-21-2009, 03:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Bow I saw blow on the rack was hung horizontially and supported by the riser.

Dan
Old 04-21-2009, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

The Bow I saw blow on the rack was hung horizontially and supported by the riser.

Dan
Oh! I dont doubt that, and im sure that was a surprise to say the least. The one i saw blow was actually a almost new bow[&:] Its just a good idea to take care, and keep a good eye on the strings. ESPECIALLY if they are starting to look shot out...

Derek