HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Bow String.. life Expectancy???? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/291887-bow-string-life-expectancy.html)

RuLzU 04-14-2009 12:09 AM

Bow String.. life Expectancy????

Guys.. whats up? curious as to know what the life expectancy is on a bow string..
ex. XXX amount of shots.... year/years... just an idea... thanks..

JeffB 04-14-2009 04:00 AM

RE: Bow String.. life Expectancy????

ORIGINAL: RuLzU

Guys.. whats up? curious as to know what the life expectancy is on a bow string..

It totally varies, and there is no set in stone answer. Some manufacturers will give you a X # of shots range. My peronsal belief is if you shoot alot, change it every year, and no longer than every two years- even if you keep the string waxed/in good shape.

MeanV2 04-15-2009 05:07 AM

ORIGINAL: JeffB

ORIGINAL: RuLzU

It totally varies, and there is no set in stone answer. Some manufacturers will give you a X # of shots range. My peronsal belief is if you shoot alot, change it every year, and no longer than every two years- even if you keep the string waxed/in good shape.
Jeff, Those are my thoughts exactly!

Dan

ampahunter 04-15-2009 09:25 AM

If you are serious with your bow and you shoot a whole lot you should certainly change your string on a yearly basis.
Yourstring will actually tellya when it needs changing...the appearance of the string changes, it begins to get fuzzy, whiteish, faded, your poundage falls off, peep over-rotate, nock point flattens and arrow slips of the string easily....these are a few of the signs thatsays it time to re-string/cable your bow.

pukeleeland 04-15-2009 09:46 AM

The poundage dropping off is an easy one to check. That's how I gauge whether or not a new string is needed.

liquidorange 04-15-2009 10:17 AM

it begins to get fuzzy,
the last winners choice i had installed got fuzzy right away. maybe not a good indication always. and yes i wax often.

drockw 04-15-2009 10:52 AM

Waxing often isnt going to save your string;) It might even add to a quicker death. I dont wax my strings unless they get rained on... Anyways, I would say a year if you shoot often, and or if you expose them to the weather alot (i.e, rain, heat, etc). BlackStick one of the guys that used to frequent this forum a few months back said he had around 10k shots on his VT's and they were still not bad... Every set of strings is going to be different per individual use, so i would just go with a year or two at the most.

Derek

fatsbucknut 04-15-2009 01:29 PM

Couldnt tell ya. I've had mine for 5 yrs. I'll probably get a new string this year

RuLzU 04-16-2009 09:58 PM

Thanks for the feedback fellas

muzzyman88 04-17-2009 07:47 AM

All great information.

Think about this. Your strings and cables hold your bow together, keep you cams in time and keep the bow tuned. In my opinion, its the single most important part on a bow. If they wear out, start creaping and stretching, it will throw everything out of whack.

I shoot a lot, but I take good care of my strings and cables and can usually get 2 years out of them.