Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Pentax DCF WP or Nikon Monarch ATB

Old 04-24-2003, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default Pentax DCF WP or Nikon Monarch ATB

I have narrowed my search to these 2 binoculars. I just cannot justify Swarovski or Leicas, Although I would love to have them strapped to my neck.

Which set would you go with and why?

I plan to go with the 10x42. Both have phase-corrected prisms and multi-coated(which prob. means 2. )optics. The pentaxs are more expensive than the nikons.
Old 04-24-2003, 03:10 PM

Default RE: Pentax DCF WP or Nikon Monarch ATB

btomlin, I just went through probably the same process your doing looking of Bino' s. I also narrowed it down to the same models. The Pentex seem harder to order without a 4-5 week wait. So I ordered the Moncach' s 8x42 and love them. I looked at both models a couple different times and the only thing different about them was the price. the Pentex where $100 more. Both have the exact same spec' s as what you mentioned above. I went with the 8x42' s because I wanted them more for 3-d then Hunting though I' ll use them in Wyo. in Sept. I found the 8x42' s bring in slightly more light then the 10x42' s. I also compared them to my buddies pair of Lica 10x42 and though there is a very slight difference with the Lica' s it sure wasn' t $500 difference. You' ll be impressed with the Monarch' s clarity. If your looking for long range viewing then you might be better off with the 10x42' s. But for low light conditions and clarity the 8x42' s are a better choice IMO. I bought mine off and inter-net store called Advanced Photo Source for $224 +shipping w/ a factory warrantry. Best price I could find and they where great to deal with. Good luck. JERRY
Old 04-24-2003, 04:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I went thru the same exact thing as Jerry.........and those 2 as well as the Bushnell " Legend" were the final choices in my price range. All phase coated/corrected and nitrogen purged fully waterproof roof prism designs.

All 3 are VERY similar in specs, and image quality.........probably so close that it would take a machine to tell you one is clearer or brighter than the other. My perception was that the Pentax DCF-WP' s were the best of the 3 and that is what I went with, but I would feel comfortable owning any of these I just listed.
Like Jerry I also got the 8X42 mostly for 3D shooting but also since I hunt mostly whitetails where you don' t need anything more than 8X ,which is gonna be brighter and sharper anyway.
I believe all 3 have lifetime warranties as well.
It might be hard to get your hands on all 3 at the same time, but if you can it would help greatly........its tough to look thru one pair and then go somewhere else to look thru a different pair and then try to make a comparison.

Even though I choce the Pentax, all of these are serious quality glass for the $$.
Old 04-25-2003, 04:57 AM

I agree with Matt. I am taking a trip to South Africa this August and agonized over quality optics for both me and my wife. I had a pair of lower end Bushnells I use during archery season and wanted to upgrade for glassing at greater distances. I purchased a pair of DCF WP on e-bay last fall. Trust me its worth the time to check there website. They are new in box, not factory reconditioned or anything and with the $100 rebate Pentax offered I got them for $279.00 check out there site for the other brands as well.
Old 04-29-2003, 03:05 PM

the monarch atb 8x42' s are awesome. i think they almost compare to swarovski' s. i didn' t notice much of a difference between the two the other day at a 3d shoot when i put both of them up to the target. The nikons are just as bright and 1/5 the price.