Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Nikon Monarch??? >

Nikon Monarch???

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Nikon Monarch???

Old 12-11-2006, 07:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Nikon Monarch???

OK, I have just about made up my mind to go with something in the 3X9X 40 range. I have experience with the Loopy Vari-X-II, but I am leaning to the Nikon Monarch! How does it compare to the Loopy VX-II and VX-III?
It seems like a lot of folks compare it to a VX-III at about 100.00 less?

Old 12-11-2006, 07:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Nikon Monarch???

Just looked at 'em on Riflescopes.com, Nikon Monarch 250.00, VX-II 300.00
VX-III 470.00
So, if it compares well with a VX-III it's a hell-of-a-savings!!!
????
Old 12-11-2006, 08:47 PM
Typical Buck

Glass-wise, the Monarch is better than a VX-III. Leupold charges way too much for what you get.

Unless your scoping a hard-kicking magnum, get the Nikon and never look back.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

One of my hunting buddies has a Monarch on his .25 WSSM. I've got a Buckmaster on my .223. All else equal (except I think maybe the Monarch was a 3.5-10 instead of 3-9). As light began to fade, we kept them both outand kept checking and rechecking the target. There wasn't as much difference as we expected. The Monarch was a little better, but it would only have added maybe 2 to 3 minutes of shooting light. Colors were more true on the Monarchand the Buckmaster had a little bit of a dull tint to it, but under most conditions, you would be able to take the same shots with the Buckmaster as you would the Monarch. This isn't a knock on the quality of the Monarch, but more of a testament to the quality of the Buckmaster.

I've got a 4.5-14x40 VX-III on my .25-06, and the clarity and light transmission is a better, IMHO. We've got a deer feeder under an oak tree, and coons are bad about getting into it. When I hit them with the spotlight, they run. I can't see them well enough on most nights to shoot them with the Buckmaster.The treecastsshade, and I can't see into the shade. I have shot a few with the VX-III. It is clear enough I can distinguish the coons from the shadows if there is a lot of moonlight out.

Or maybe I should say I can see distinguish the dark spots that are animals from the shadows. I have no clue what that stray cat was doing under the deer feeder.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Nikon Monarch Gold 42 mm I have is one of the clearest scopes in my collection and definitely better then my Leupold Euro 50 mm which is equivalent to the VXII models...
Old 12-13-2006, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just to let you know my Leupold Sequoia spotting scope is made in Korea...
Old 12-14-2006, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

Buy a Monarch. You won't regret it. I have 2 and will only buy Nikons in the future. Just as good as a Leupold (if not better IMHO) and you'll save some money.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:39 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: pipecrew

Buy a Monarch. You won't regret it. I have 2 and will only buy Nikons in the future. Just as good as a Leupold (if not better IMHO) and you'll save some money.
That's funny!

Nikon scopes are superior to any Leupold in their price range, and you often must go even two product lines higher in a Leupold to equal many of the other manufacturers scopes...Nikon, Burris, Zeiss, Pentax, Weaver and Bushnell come immediately to mind.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:07 AM

Buy the Monarch. Love it, and have it last a lifetime.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys! I have just about decided to go with the Monarch in 3X9X40! I would probably go with a 4X12 or so, but they all come with the AO!
I had thought about getting something with AO, but from what I understand about them is that they are just plain un-neccsary. So why spend extra for it, and have something else to fail, or distract you?!

Quick Reply: Nikon Monarch???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.