Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Peep Tube Decreased Speed??? >

Peep Tube Decreased Speed???

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Peep Tube Decreased Speed???

Old 04-21-2003, 09:25 PM

Default RE: Peep Tube Decreased Speed???

Send that no-peep this way. I' ll put it on the wifes bow.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lots of people shoot a peep without the rubber tube. I really like the SuperPeep. Its light and small (won' t effect speed as much as a regular peep with rubber tubing) The other nice thing about the SuperPeep is you can change the inside peep diameter. If you' re going to shoot in door leauges you can put in a very small one. If you' re going to hunt, put in a larger hole or even take the whole center out. If you have a high quality string, training it to stay in the right position isn' t hard.

Good Luck!
Old 04-22-2003, 06:34 PM

Thanks C4extrem,
My anchor point is the same, I believe you are right......The extra weigt is the problem..

ORIGINAL: c4extrem

if your groups drop 5" sounds like your ancher point is lower then before
you should go thu the steps of resetting your peep to match your ancher point
speed ? when you add weight to the sting it slows the bow down just like useing a heavier arrow. rubber tube and peep I have gained 3 to 6 fps when removing them give the timberline No peep a try if you don' t like the maintance with tube
there are other options to try
Greg
Old 04-22-2003, 06:40 PM

c903,
The person at the bow shop put me a new string on...I have this done every Spring....He is very careful to measure to make sure my kisser button, peep and knocking loop is in the same position year after year. I can shoot with the rubber tube on and shoot 5" lower than if I remove the rubber tube.........I guess it has to be the weight that causes the slow down I wonder how many fps we are talking about here? Thanks....

ORIGINAL: c903

I doubt very much that " speed" is the factor that you now have a 5" drop from POI.

Something moved or was moved. Did the person at the bow shop twist your string in an attempt to align your peep? Was your peep moved? If so, your nocking point height, peep height, and brace height were changed. Brace change not critical, nocking and peep height is. Change in peep height (eye to pin/anchor) would change your POI.

Also, wear and tear is the norm. Live it with it. Try quality surgical tubing that stretches.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:05 PM

Thanks to all for your comments...I really think my problem is the added weigt of the tubing........Tube off and I hit the bulls eys...Tube on and I group 5" low....

I have put the tube back on and lowered my sights to comensate for now.........
Old 04-22-2003, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

e-mail me at [email protected] if you want the no peep.
Old 04-23-2003, 07:36 AM

For your arrow to drop 5" at 20 yds you are talking about 60 fps diff in speed. The weight is not the reason.

Old 04-23-2003, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dont know what everyone is thinking here . Replace your string with a winners choice string and use a true peep , end of problem . Speed or lack there of is not doing this its your sight picture . Its diferant with the rubber tube pulling on it . That tube is a pain , it can break at bad times or it can smack you in the eye , I' m sure someone has one of those stories . And its very loud , take it off and it will quiet your bow down allso .
Old 04-23-2003, 12:34 PM

When the tube is disconnected, the peep is just riding in the string with no torque. When the tube is on, and there is tension, it will pull the top of the peep forward, creating a different sight picture. To make it look right, you are moving your anchor point up a little bit to look straight through it, causing the 5" of drop. Yes, they do slow them down some, but I think above is your problem.
Old 04-26-2003, 07:16 PM

I would say this to all of you ( If you use a peep sight with a tube and the tube is pulling that hard on your peep, enough to screw up your sight window or break the tube that often, you most definitely have your rubber tube tied way to short.)
I' ve had my tube on my peep for 1 1/2 years with no failures yet and I probably shoot twice as much as half of you.

I would never hunt without a tube on my peep. a tubeless peep is going to fail to turn right way more often than a peep with a tube would ever fail!!!! JUST WHEN THAT TROPHY BUCK STEPS OUT IN FRONT OF YOU!!!!!!!!

so hence, I keep using the tube style of peeps.